This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has brought with it a wide variety of unprecedented challenges through which new norms have emerged. From daily mask wearing to forgoing international travel, we all have had to adjust to pandemic-appropriate lifestyles. The ways we maintain our interpersonal relationships have also been altered due to the pandemic and, as a result, a dramatic change has occurred in the dating scene. 

Geographically separated by the pandemic, many couples have suddenly found themselves in long-distance relationships. While there is no secret formula that guarantees a successful long-distance relationship, here’s a compilation of some long-distance relationship survival tips that I’ve personally found helpful during the nearly two-year period of long-distance dating in my current relationship:

Communication is Key

Communication is key to any healthy relationship, but it’s particularly important for long-distance dating, as you are unable to physically be with each other and see each other. After establishing the preferred means of communication for your relationship, you should both practice consistent communication to help you and your partner feel more included in each other’s lives. This can be done by letting each other know what your work load for the day looks like or by sending snaps of your meals. Good communication is especially crucial when one or both partners become busy. Rather than not answering calls or texts and then explaining later that you were busy, the more ideal option would be to simply give your partner a heads up about your busy schedule!

Photo by Kelli McClintock on Unsplash

Send Each Other Packages

One super effective way to feel more connected with your partner is by sending each other packages. The package can be filled with your respective local goodies, your partner’s favorite snacks, and/or your clothes. I personally find receiving my significant other’s hoodies to be the most meaningful because it’s a tangible reminder of him that’s perfect to cuddle with on stressful or lonely nights.

Spend Time Together Online 

Setting aside time to go on online dates or do online activities with your partner can help relieve some of the frustrations you may feel while being in a long-distance relationship. Some online date/activity ideas include: 

#1: Playing Video Games or Mobile Games  

#2: Watching Movies Through the Share Screen Feature on Zoom

#3: Having FaceTime Study Dates

Edward Jenner via Pexels

Build Trust & Respect

Without mutual trust and respect, long-distance dating can feel absolutely miserable. It is extremely important to learn to trust your partner as well as respect that they have a life and responsibilities outside of you. For this to happen, both of you must be considerate of each other even when the other person isn’t present and realistic about the amount of time you keep in touch. It goes without saying that neither partner should be compromising their mental or physical health for the relationship.

Schedule Visits 

Make sure to set dates for when you will be able to meet up again if possible. This is beneficial not only for the sake of being able to see each other, but also because once the specific date is set, it becomes something to really look forward to. The reunion countdown helps you maintain a positive attitude as you endure the remaining time apart. I even use an app called TheDayBefore to count down the days I have left until the holidays and breaks when we can be together again. 

Although long-distance can get emotionally difficult at times, don’t forget that there are benefits unique to long-distance relationships that make the experience all the more special! For example, I don’t think anything will compare to the excitement and amount of butterflies I feel when the day I’ll be seeing my boyfriend for the first time in months gets close. Additionally, after spending so much time apart, you both learn to deeply appreciate the time you have together. Every moment feels magical.

Serena Kang

UC Berkeley '24

Serena is a Korean American first-year student at UC Berkeley who intends to double major in Psychology and Media Studies. Apart from being a foodie and a skincare junkie, she is a feminist and a passionate advocate for social justice. As she lives in Seoul and is attending school remotely this year, she is most looking forward to meeting the HC of Berkeley team in the fall!
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.