Joey Freeman, Vice President of External Affairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Think back to high school where it seemed that anyone with a little determination and some extra time to make flyers could be elected as class “whatever.”  If you have glanced around UC Berkeley during election time you know that is not the case.

Each year students sacrifice normal college life to commit themselves to the high stakes of student government campaigning.  And when that’s over, don’t assume that they have it easy.  The few who are elected dedicate themselves to a life that is solely for the well being of the Berkeley campus community and student body.  One of these student representatives has taken such a path in what seems to be the most crucial time in recent UC Berkeley History.

Joey Freeman, the current Vice President of External Affairs, is an exceptional example of an effective student leader.  He is a 21 year old, thirdyear Berkeley student, born and raised in L.A., who has a knack for campus involvement. Aside from his executive position in student government (last year he was a senator) he is a prominent member of the Berkeley Jewish community and enjoys his time as a brother of Delta Chi Fraternity. His natural public speaking ability and strong convictions make it hard to think that he has anything other than the best interest of the student body in mind.  That’s 37,000 students he represents to the local, state, and federal government, just in case you were wondering. It’s an understatement to say that his life has truly changed overnight.

Her Campus recently had the privilege of sitting with Joey in his office to casually talk about his notsocasual life for the past year.  Here’s what we HAD to ask, and here’s what he had to say:

Her Campus: What inspired you to get involved in student government?
Joey Freeman: I had been involved in student government from 7-9th grade but was active in other things during high school. When I got to Berkeley, however, I realized the unique ability of the ASUC to affect change on campus and in the community so I became involved as an intern my freshman year. I then served as a Senator my sophomore year and now Vice President my junior year. I am so happy student government has been such a huge part of my college experience because it has taught me so much about others and while it sounds cliché, it really has provided me the platform to make a positive difference.

HC: I can’t help but notice your fabulous public speaking abilities.  Does that come naturally to you?
JF: Thanks for the compliment! I’ve had opportunities to speak publicly since elementary school. So, like anything else you get better with practice. I feel very fortunate that I enjoy public speaking and feel comfortable in front of large audiences. Public speaking can be a powerful tool for affecting change. For example, during my speech at the rally on Sproul Plaza during the November 9th “Day of Action,” I used my turn at the mic to talk about how we need to refocus the conversation about protecting higher education to Sacramento. It’s easy to make demands of our legislators and administrators but nothing will change until we have more revenue. I was able to use my speech to help add a much needed dimension to this movement, talking about ideas like reforming Proposition 13, passing progressive tax measures, and registering more students as voters.

HC: How has your life changed from being in office?
JF: Life has definitely changed a lot since taking office! The four of us (President and Three Vice Presidents) run around all day between meetings, classes, and events. I can’t even think about my homework until I settle down at around 11:30 PM or 12 AM. This job involves juggling dozens of projects and managing a staff of 25 Directors and 40 Interns so it’s definitely been a challenge balancing this with other commitments, academics, fraternity, and social life. I’d say time management has definitely been the biggest change and Google Calendar has become a really good friend!

HC: In light of the Occupy Movement, the “Day of Action” on campus, and other campus happenings tell me what it was like to represent the student body in such a critical time.
JF: It has been such a privilege to represent students this year in particular. The UC system continues to witness enormous cuts to its budget and increases in tuition and fees. The last few weeks of the semester were especially challenging with the Occupy protests, the police brutality, the days of action, and while unrelated, the shooting at Haas and fire on Telegraph. We’ve definitely had our hands full. On the first day of the Occupy protest for example, I was fortunate to be one of a couple students shuttling between the protest organizers and campus administrators trying to broker a compromise. One of my proudest moments as EAVP was the decision to reroute our buses to Sacramento when the UC Board of Regents decided to cancel their recent meeting. In 48 hours, I was able to secure funding for additional buses from the campus, recruit dozens of students from Berkeley, Davis, and Merced, and plan a press conference on the steps of the State Capitol. We sent the message that the Regents’ cancellation of their meeting does not impede upon our activism and urged our legislators to protect funding for higher education and identify new revenue sources. The press conference featured our Student Regents, campus leaders, and senior administrators, showing that we are all on the same page. In everything I do, I’m constantly reminded by the fact that as the preeminent institution of higher learning in the country, when Berkeley acts, others take notice and when Berkeley leads, others follow. While these events may seem isolated on campus, I approach our activism with the understanding that our work has major implications. These are difficult times but at the same time, there is so much incredible student organizing and a hope for a more accessible and affordable system of higher education – I’m just happy to play a small part in that much larger movement.

HC: What are your near and far plans for the future? Do these plans include politics on a grander scale?
JF: Right now, I’m planning for the next semester and thinking about internships for this summer. In the near future, I hope to take some time off after college to gain work experience and then apply for law school. I’m not sure that I want to be in politics my entire life, but I definitely would like to pursue a career in politics. While it definitely has its downsides, I really do believe that politicians are public servants and can accomplish amazing things for people.

Elizabeth is a senior majoring in American Studies with a concentration in consumer behavior at the University of California, Berkeley. You'll find her at the pool swimming with the Cal club water polo team or running through campus training for the next half marathon. In addition to an active lifestyle, Elizabeth loves to keep up to date with the latest tech trends and is always looking for a new recipe to try out! Elizabeth hopes to pursue a career in public relations and marketing after graduation.