This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Worried you’ll be spending your entire summer working at some high-tech internship or maybe you’re just worried about not having anything to do this summer? Well, here are 10 things you should put on your summer bucket list so you spend less time on the couch or in front of a screen and more time outside doing fun things! Whether you’re an adventurous spirit or a cuddly homebody, any of these options would be a great fit for you. So go ahead, learn a new skill, create something cool, or maybe just get a cute little tattoo on your body! This summer is the time for you to have fun and get to do all the fun things in the Bay Area! 

1. Go beach camping.

2. Attend an outdoor concert.

Outside Lands is just around the corner and it is known as one of the chillest music festivals in the Bay Area! It’s happening Aug. 11-13 this summer with headliners, Lana Del Rey, Megan Thee Stallion, Kendrick Lamar, and more!

3. make a sand castle.

4. get a new or your first tattoo!

It’s time to rip off the bandaid and go get that tattoo you’ve been wanting all year long. This school year’s been stressful, especially at Berkeley, and what better way to de-stress and celebrate the year than a little body art?

5. learn the basics of a new language.

6. go to a drive-in movie theater with a U-haul truck.

Drive-in movies are the best when sitting in the bed of a truck and what better time to do that than the middle of summer! It’ll be a hot, summer night in the Bay Area where you’ll be able to watch a new movie under the stars. If you don’t have a truck, you can rent one from U-Haul to use for your special movie night. It’s only $19.95, plus a small charge for each mile you drive!

7. go through all your clothes and donate what you don’t wear.

8. visit a national park on a free entrance day!

On five days in 2023, National Park Service sites are offering free admission to everyone! The last entrance fee-free dates this summer are:

• Aug. 4: Anniversary of the Great American Outdoors Act
  • Sept. 23: National Public Lands Day

9. Find a new favorite recipe to cook on a regular basis.

10.  Upcycle a piece of furniture.

If you happen to be moving this summer or even just want to switch up your living space, go to your local thrift store and pick out a new furniture item to upcycle! You can find something for a good deal and then redo the upholstery or change up the color with a fresh coat of paint.

Whatever you have planned this summer, mix up your usual routine with one of these 10 bucket list ideas. Whether you’re looking for a big adventure or just a fun activity to do at home, summer is the perfect time to explore your interests and take time for yourself.

Kiana Lee

UC Berkeley '23

Kiana is a senior at UC Berkeley, where she is currently studying cognitive science and health and wellness. Originally from San Jose, Kiana spends most of her free time in the pool, listening to music, or tending to her plant babies.