This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Taylor Swift came out of the 2024 Grammys with two wins including Album of the Year, along with an additional four nominations. To all our surprise she announced not a re-recorded album, but a whole new one titled The Tortured Poets Department. The cover posted across her Instagram account gives a sultry black-and-white vibe that we’ve never seen from her; it’s so intriguing and fun. However, the outfit she wore to the Grammys did more than just miss. The weird unflattering shape of the dress coupled with the long black gloves is a combo that simply doesn’t work. Her accessories, specifically her layered necklaces remind me of ones that I wore and were trendy in middle school. Taylor’s hair only falling to one side with the braid gave a more bohemian vibe that just didn’t match the overall look she was going for. Taylor has always been a little trickster when it comes to album releases, but, I wish instead of fooling us into thinking it was Reputation, we got an outfit that is more the vibe of her next album. 

The Grammys isn’t the only time we’ve seen fashion misses from Miss Swift. Her street style sometimes feels as if she’s trying to follow current fashion trends a little too closely. Don’t get me wrong, I think her style has evolved and gotten a lot better in recent years. However, a person who’s so gorgeous with such star presence needs to be wearing clothes that reflect that. 

By incorporating more timeless and even simple pieces into her wardrobe, I think they will not only look better now, but also age better. When she sticks to incorporating cool simple coats or a cute pleated skirt, she really shines. However, she consistently wears out-of-style patterned sets or neon-colored pumps that throw off the whole outfit. Taylor’s fashion turns into a lackluster mess real quick. 

Taylor Swift wearing floral dress at 2021 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

Now this isn’t a slam on Taylor, as this truly may be her only flaw. However, one thing I can’t lie about is that her fashion sense could use some work. I would love to see her style encapsulate how amazing she is because fashion truly is a reflection of yourself. But, until then, as fans we’ll all love her and continue to be her biggest supporters.

Isabel Anastas

UC Berkeley '26

Hi! I'm Isabel a Sophomore here at Berkeley majoring in Media Studies with a minor in Journalism. I love being a Staff Writer and Marketing Team Member here at Her Campus.