Style

I Got Curtain Bangs, and Here’s Why You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

A couple days ago, I made the daring decision to chop off my hair. The hair salon near me had just reopened, so I decided to support my local small business (taking all the necessary precautions, of course) and get curtain bangs. 

This hairstyle has been around for quite a while, but it has just recently taken social media by storm, particularly on TikTok. I decided to see what all the fuss was about. 

Person holding an iPhone running TikTok
Photo by Solen Feyissa from Unsplash
Let me tell you: I feel like a new woman. The curtain bangs frame my face without compromising the length. It starts out short near my face and gradually blends in with the original length of my hair. As someone who wanted to try something new without looking completely different or giving up my long hair, curtain bangs are a win for me. Even though I went for the more subtle curtain bangs by keeping them a bit longer near my face, it made me so happy that I tried something new! 

In fact, curtain bangs are quite easy to maintain as well. Stick to your regular hair washing routine. The styling is just curling the ends of your hair, especially the shorter hair near your face. All in all, it’s a “safe” and trendy change that can give you that quarantine glo-up you’ve been wanting. 

woman looking at her reflection in mirror
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
Curtain bangs are also perfect for those of you who haven’t yet given into the temptation of your craft scissors and bathroom mirror. *sigh* It’s that quarantine boredom. Hey, at least we got past the “too high” self-cut forehead bangs phase. Although it’s always best to get your hair cut by a professional, if you’re balling on a budget or the salons near you haven’t opened up yet, curtain bangs are easier and less risky to cut yourself at home. Watch this video to learn the proper way to cut curtain bangs yourself!

You got this girl! Rock that ’do and let your hair truly showcase your beautiful face. 

Aakruti Desai

UC Berkeley '24

Aakruti Desai is currently studying business at UC Berkeley. Her past experiences include being CEO of Studenteer.org and Forward Apparel. She is the host of the FemExec Podcast, published Dear Fellow Immigrant Kids, available on Amazon, and is the CEO of Marketfly.net
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.