Career > Work

HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF YOUR LAST WEEKS AT AN INTERNSHIP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

If you’re in the last few weeks of an internship, whatever the field, you’re probably feeling mixed emotions. You may be struggling with burn out or simply feeling ready to move on to something new. On the other hand, you might be feeling sadness and apprehension about reaching the end of this job and moving on to the next. 

Whether you love your internship or absolutely hate it, it’s important to consider how you can get the most out of these final few weeks. 

1. Ask for a letter of recommendation

Before you leave your internship, be sure to ask for a letter of recommendation that you can use in the future when applying to a new job or graduate school. Don’t ask just anyone, though; choose someone who you have worked closely with or who has been a mentor to you, someone who knows your work ethic and skills. Try to ask for the recommendation sooner rather than later, so that the writer has ample time to work on it. 

2. Stay in touch

Staying in touch with the people you worked with can look different depending on the internship’s work environment. Whether it’s by adding each other on LinkedIn, saving emails, or even meeting up for coffee chats, growing and maintaining a professional network with your mentors and colleagues is one of the most valuable takeaways from any internship. 

3. Don’t stop learning 

Although it can be easy to check out during the last few weeks of an internship, there are still valuable lessons you can learn. It’s also a good opportunity to strengthen your connections to mentors, organizations, other partners, or colleagues. Remaining dedicated until the end of your time working somewhere demonstrates your unwavering work ethic and will make you stand out more, which is valuable for letters of recommendation as well as potential future job applications.

4. Write about your experience

If you haven’t already been journaling about your experience, it’s not too late to start! This is a great way to further reflect on everything you’ve been learning and experiencing, good or bad. It’s also an easy way to start thinking about how to describe your internship in the future, whether in job or academic interviews or on your resume. 

Ultimately, while pushing through the last few weeks of an internship can be tough depending on your circumstances, there are key benefits to making the most out of your remaining time. It’s tempting for all of us to fixate on the future and think about what comes next, but there is great value in living in the present moment and reflecting upon our growth.

Sophia Stockton

UC Berkeley '24

Sophia is a junior at UC Berkeley, where she is currently studying sociology and psychology. Originally from San Diego, Sophia spends most of her free time at the beach, listening to music, cooking, or taking photos.