HOMESICKNESS: THE EXTRACURRICULAR NOBODY TALKS ABOUT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

After over a year of online classes, it was time to pack for the next adventure: college. College represents a new stage full of freedom and opportunity, but also responsibilities we never consider beforehand.

For many freshmen, sophomore, and transfer juniors, this is probably the first time they have left the nest. And let’s not forget about all the students who had to go home due to the pandemic. We’re all in the same boat: our college campus is a little unfamiliar.

How many times have you heard throughout this semester to sign up for more units, network, find an internship, or join clubs? The pandemic has made us feel like we’re running out of time in our college careers. Yet, no one talks about the extracurricular that we all share: homesickness. 

So, what exactly is homesickness? 

According to a study published by John Hopkins University Press, homesickness refers to “a complex cognitive-motivational-emotional state concerned with grieving for, yearning for and being occupied with thoughts of home.” The term does not refer to students being sick, but their constant feeling of missing home. 

I think I’m not the only one who, after a long day of classes, misses coming home to a warm hug, a bowl of soup, snuggles with my pet, jokes with siblings, or complaints about how poorly I washed the dishes (sorry mom, I love you). 

As young adults, we take so many things for granted that when we finally move, we can’t help but miss them.

Yet why is talking about homesickness so stigmatized?

The idea of “finally enjoying freedom” is very latent and social pressures to fit in sometimes get the best of us. It’s sad to say, but many people who express their worries and homesickness do not get a positive response from their friends. In other cases, students simply do not want to talk about it because they want to avoid those feelings. 

But I’m here to tell you that it’s okay to feel homesick. In the end, we’re all in this together! 

It is entirely normal to miss home, your parents, friends, pets, past activities, etc. You grew up with them, and now that you are in this new stage, it is a feeling that will probably stick around for a while. Nevertheless, some strategies can help you overcome this feeling.

How do I cope with homesickness? 

• Recognize that you are homesick. It is a natural response to this new stage in your life—It is a big change!
  • Decorate your room with objects from home that are special to you. 
  • Instead of letting this feeling take over you, take the initiative to go out and try new things! Campus always has many activities to enjoy, so take advantage of them and get out of your repetitive routine.
  • Get in touch with your family and friends. In the same way that you miss them, they miss you too! 
  • Take those extracurricular recommendations, but don’t take on so much that you avoid your feelings. Keeping your mind distracted is helpful, but not at the expense of your mental well-being. 
Alondra is a Peruvian Senior transfer at UC Berkeley, majoring in Film and Media Studies. Passionate about the arts, traveling, and women empowerment; you can find her either enjoying hot chocolate while drawing, or out for an adventure to write about.