A Girl’s Guide to Pissing Off Your Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Piercings are a form of expression whether it be an edgy look or you’re just going through a breakdown. They have become super trendy recently and seems as everyone is getting one. But they can also be scary because they hurt and should take some amount of consideration. So if you’ve been thinking about getting a piercing you’ve come to the right place.

Nose Piercing:

This was the least painful experience of my life and I would totally recommend if you are considering one. Honestly, when I got it didn’t hurt at all, falling off the stairs during my freshman year of high school hurt way more (I think I still have a bruise somehow). It’s also super easy to take care of and in my opinion one of the harder piercings to get infected. Since it’s on your face you see it all the time and won’t forget to clean it.

Pain: 2.5/10

Septum Piercing:

A septum says grungy, edgy, and all of the above. This shouldn’t hurt that much more than your standard nose piercing. It’s all about the piercer finding the “sweet spot” which is in between the tip of your nose and cartilage. Finding a good piercer is key to finding the “sweet spot” so it could be as least painful as possible.

Pain: 5/10

Belly Button/Navel Piercing:

I was super excited to get my belly button piercing and believed it would not hurt at all since my nose piercing did not hurt. To my surprise, this one actually hurt it wasn’t too bad but I did not expect it. Belly button piercings are a little more work because you have to make sure you aren’t irritating it. So I had to avoid wearing high waisted jeans or being in my stomach for a week to two weeks. But even though the hassle this is my favorite piercing and am so happy I got it. Sorry, Mom!! 

Pain: 4/10

Girl Lying On Bed Close Up
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Nipple Piercing:

You should definitely think about these. It’s a sensitive area but it can be more sensitive for others, it all depends. The healing process is more tedious compared to every other piercing mentioned since it takes the longest. However, that doesn’t take away the fact that they are HOT and would recommend if you’re committed to properly taking care of it. After all, you could be matching with Kylie and Kendall Jenner. 

Pain: 7/10

Piercings have become a trend and rightfully so as they are aesthetically pleasing. However, beauty is pain, but the pain should go along with a good amount of consideration and research. If you find yourself in the Berkeley area, highly recommend Industrial (some of the best customer service I have received while being super professional). Piercings are a great way to add a little spice to your appearance even if it comes at the cost of pissing your parents off. They can’t stay mad forever… right?

*Disclaimer: I am not a professional on piercings and this article is solely based on my experience and people I know. All my piercings experiences occurred after I turned 18, and parental consent is needed and highly encouraged for minors. Actual research should be done in the process of considering a piercing. Everyone’s experience with piercings is different and mine does not dictate how others will go.

Dixie Valle

UC Berkeley '22

Dixie is a senior at UC Berkeley studying Political Science. She is also minoring in public policy and education. On her free time, she loves watching reality tv and listening to music.
After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!