friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Before move-in day, my family and I spontaneously decided we wanted to eat, sleep, and breathe the life San Francisco natives live, minus being an actual local and with the addition of “I love San Francisco” apparel. As a California native, I figured a tour of San Francisco would be useless since it’s just like LA. I mean the only real unique parts of SF are the Golden Gate Bridge and a 2:1, water-to-land ratio…right?

In reality, SF, although matching the insane city antics LA has, holds such inner beauty and comfort that it’s undoubtedly unique all on its own. From the detailed architecture to the culture shock of cuisine, San Francisco has proven to be more than the orange bridge everyone outside of the city always makes San Francisco out to be. With that in mind, here are three semi-touristy places everyone should visit if you haven’t already. 

ocean beach

A little basic, yes, but what’s San Francisco without a body of water. Whether you’re an Olympic gold swimmer or just trying to get some work done with beach waves in the background, Ocean Beach is the perfect place to do that. The beach is below a small hill that leads to a road, thus you’re able to escape the city for a few hours. My personal favorite part about it is the smoothness of the sand because it makes for a perfect bed to lay your blankets on. This way you can read your favorite romance book (Red, White & Royal Blue for the win), watch the sunrise or sunset over the ginormous rocks, or have a classic picnic. However, if your main goal is to ride the waves, you most certainly can! With the large body of water, you’re able to escape the people at the beach and swim, surf, or float till your heart desires. If you’re lucky, you might even find some dogs roaming the ocean, a touch that just makes for the ultimate comfort day. 

la playa taqueria

Being a Latina, I’d call myself a bit of a critic when it comes to Latin dining, especially in cities like SF that are so heavily influenced by the culture. It’s safe to say La Playa Taqueria has the underground Latin meals we should all be eating. Located in the Sunset District, La Playa Taqueria serves everything from burritos the size of your head to enchiladas that’ll make you feel like never leaving. Having been twice, I was able to try both asada fries and the chicken quesadilla, and, let me say, it’s the kind of dining you keep coming back for. Without a doubt, the asada fries are truly one of a kind, made with crispy golden fries, topped with not only carne asada, marinated and grilled beef, but a heaping amount of guacamole and salsa that in itself could make for its own meal. Overall, if you’re looking for purely authentic Latin food, La Playa Taqueria is the place to visit, but beware once you go, you’ll be visiting at least once a week. 

the greek theatre

I couldn’t write a must-visit list without including one of the most gorgeous and detailed venues in California — The Greek Theatre, a place that calls UC Berkeley its home. This venue opened in 1903, and, since then, The Greek Theatre has held a vast array of history and culture from Mario Savio’s speech in 1964 to performances by Bob Dylan and Pearl Jam. However, what makes The Greek Theatre worthy of a spot on everyone’s bucket list, and what separates it from its counterpart, The Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, is the architecture behind it. Unlike most venues, the Greek is built around its oval shape seating, making every seat a perfect view of any performance. However, the perfection doesn’t stop there, because the stage is the real star. It’s clear that The Greek Theatre took inspiration from the Colosseum, since the stage is lined with pillars all around, giving it a timeless yet structurally beautiful look. The Greek Theatre truly is every architect or average sightseer’s dream. And once you’re done awe-ing at its glory, you can take a few steps back and acknowledge the beautiful view at this venue. At The Greek Theatre, you can see the Campanile and the Golden Gate Bridge, which is a perfect backdrop for its outdoor scene.

Monica Luna Miguel

UC Berkeley '27

Monica is a freshman at the University of California, Berkeley, intending to major in Architecture and Political Science and minor in Journalism. She is currently a writer for the Berkeley chapter and enjoys writing about her college and personal experiences. Monica has experience in writing for newspapers and magazines. After graduating she hopes to pursue a masters degree in Architecture. She also hopes to work for an editorial team in some of today's most popular newspapers as well as speak about the politics behind today's world. Coming from the city of Los Angeles she loves going to concerts and listening to music. Monica also has a strong passion for literature and reading all the classics and new up and coming authors. She also has a bit of an obsession with video editing.