This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Fall is well underway, and Halloween is just around the corner! If you’re anything like me, that means lots of cozy nights curled up with a mug of apple cider and a good movie. Here are my recommendations for the top five must-sees this fall, whether you’re in the mood for classic Halloween fun or a good scare.

#1: HALLOWEENTOWN

What better way to get into the Halloween spirit than watching this classic? Halloweentown is the perfect movie to get you ready for a month of fall fun—without scaring you to death. Whether you’re watching as a nostalgic throwback or for the first time, get your spooky season off to a good start with Halloweentown and watch young witch Marnie and her grandmother save their town from evil forces. 

For best results, pair with: hot apple cider, Halloween candy, and fuzzy socks.

#2: THE CRAFT 

90’s vibes, teenage witches, sapphic undertones… What more could you ask for? If you’re looking for something witchy, fun, and a little bit out there, The Craft is the movie for you. When a group of four friends discovers the powers of witchcraft, the girls grow power-hungry, and the results are catastrophic. The perfect mix of camp and horror, The Craft is definitely one to add to your watchlist this October.

This movie is best watched with: candles, incense, and your witchiest group of friends.

#3: THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE

If you’re in the mood for a TV show rather than a movie, check out The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. The first season came out in 2018, but if you haven’t gotten around to it yet, it’s definitely worth a watch (or rewatch!). Based on Shirley Jackson’s 1959 novel, the show focuses on the Crain family and their haunting experiences with Hill House, alternating between the past and present to depict how the house has followed them throughout their lives. If you’re in the mood for a scare but want something with a more thought-provoking plot, this is the show for you.

Best paired with: snacks, blankets—the binge-watching essentials!

#4: AFTERMATH

If you’re in the mood for a good scare or feel like checking out a new horror movie, watch Aftermath on Netflix. Another take on the classic “someone is in your house” trope, Aftermath follows a young couple as they move into a new home with a dark past. Although there is a bit of build-up before things really get scary, it’s worth the wait. 

Pair with: a nightlight and your bravest roommates.

#5: FEAR STREET

Finally, check out the Fear Street trilogy on Netflix if you’re looking for something fresh, spooky, and just the right amount of cheesy. In my personal opinion, I’ve saved the best for last with Fear Street—a new teen slasher film series based on R.L. Stine’s books. The trilogy follows a group of teens in their efforts to save their town from the grips of an ancient evil force that is responsible for the murders of countless people over the centuries. Fear Street incorporates elements of classic slasher films with a dash of time travel.

Best paired with: a Halloween costume party. 

If you’re in need of something to watch this October, check out one of these five movies or shows! Whether you’re planning a movie night with friends or roommates, or just need something to watch in the background while pumpkin carving, add these to your watchlist and let the spooky season begin! 

Sophia Stockton

UC Berkeley '24

Sophia is a junior at UC Berkeley, where she is currently studying sociology and psychology. Originally from San Diego, Sophia spends most of her free time at the beach, listening to music, cooking, or taking photos.