5 SONGS TO INTRODUCE YOU TO GRACIE ABRAMS

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As an avid listener of music, I’m always doing my best to listen to various genres and keep up with the music industry’s news. That’s why I nearly screamed when the 2024 GRAMMY nominations for Best New Artist were released. One of my favorite artists, Gracie Abrams, is on the list! This is the 24-year-old singer-songwriter’s first GRAMMY nomination, and I’m honestly excited for her! I got into her music early in my senior year of high school, and I was fortunate enough to see her live when I went to Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour. It’s safe to say she had a great year so far, as she released her first full-length studio album, Good Riddance, and was an opener for Swift. My background in choir prompts me to pay close attention to an artist’s lyrics and voice, which is why I appreciate much of what Abrams is able to do. Below is a list I made of five songs by Abrams that I recommend as a good introduction to her and her music.

1. “I miss you, I’m sorry”

This 2020 single is arguably Abrams’ most popular and well-known song. This was the first song I ever listened to by her and it pulled me in instantly. It has an atmospheric sound that encapsulates the listener into a reminiscent, retrospective environment. The bridge is the best part of this song as it blends the song’s newly introduced melody with the melody of the chorus. It’s like a mini mash-up at the end, and Abrams’ emotional lyrics make it all the more heart-wrenching to listen to.

2. “Amelie”

This song is for those who love the stripped-back, acoustic sound. “Amelie” is my personal favorite on Good Riddance, as it best exemplifies Abrams’ raw, lyrical songwriting. I’m addicted to how this song can be both warm and melancholic at the same time. The guitar melody sounds peaceful, but the song’s lyrics delve into her feelings regarding “Amelie,” someone who left an impression on her. I love that I’m still left wondering whether “Amelie” is an actual person Abrams had an encounter with or a version of Abrams’ self. 

3. “21”

This song is a little more upbeat compared to other songs by Abrams, and it’s honestly one of the most addictive. It’s a fun one to listen to because of how catchy it is, and it’s a fun one to scream when you see her live! I wish this song was a little longer, but, at the same time, I wouldn’t change it at all. Its simplicity is what makes this song so easy to love!

4. “Feels Like”

This is the kind of song I listen to when I’m back home after being out with friends. I can hear this song when I’m reflecting on my day. It’s the song I hear as I still feel the energy and the warmth from our laughter. It feels nostalgic as the lyrics create an ambience that feels relaxed and happy. Not to mention, Abrams delivers on the bridge once again! I love that this song reminds me of my own friends and how any day with them is a great day. It’s a song that reminds us to be grateful for those friends we have in our lives!

The Lalatwo Friends Looking At City Skyline
Her Campus Media

5. “Block me out”

Abrams delivers yet another catchy bridge in this 2022 single of hers. I find it interesting how the song’s calming guitar juxtaposes the pain and misery expressed in the lyrics. It’s not hard to find the lyrics relatable as Abrams sings of wishing to block herself out while exploring reflections of herself. On top of that, I love the intentional shakiness of her voice, a common ability showcased in other songs by Abrams, as it further emphasizes her sensitivity and vulnerability. 

You’ll notice she has great control over her voice and carries the ability to convey her emotions through every lyric. Personally, what engages me in her sound is how she’s able to share feelings of dejection and heartbreak through soft and calming songs. I often turn to her music when I’m feeling down or experiencing difficulty in processing something. I find that her music can be an escape to a space where my sadness feels validated. Maybe a part of what makes her music so appealing is because it’s a gentle, soothing form of catharsis. I look forward to what Abrams will write in the future, and I hope you find these songs to be a good introduction to this Best New Artist nominee.

Sierra Kushi

UC Berkeley '27

Sierra is a freshman at the University of California, Berkeley. She started writing for the Berkeley chapter in the Fall of 2023 and is currently serving as a Digital Editor in the Spring of 2024. Sierra has experience in writing and leadership. She may be undecided about her major, but she loves studying in the community that is UC Berkeley! She loves to write about personal experiences, books, and music. In her free time, you'll find her reading romance novels, hanging out with friends, or listening to Taylor Swift on repeat. You may run into her at a coffee shop or the bookstore.