5 FEMINIST BOOKS TO READ THIS WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

In 1987, Congress declared the month of March to be Women’s History Month, in honor of the role that women play in American society and history. Although it can be easy to let designations like this pass by without thinking much about them, it can also be a time for learning and reflection. To get into the spirit of Women’s History Month this year, check out these five feminist books. 

1. The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood

By the author of The Handmaid’s Tale, The Penelopiad is a retelling of Homer’s The Odyssey, told from the perspective of Odysseus’ wife, Penelope. Atwood’s novella is uniquely structured, almost theatrical in nature, with interludes from a Greek chorus of the twelve maids, who were killed in The Odyssey for supposedly being disloyal to Odysseus. The prose is beautiful, weaving an intricate tale bringing Penelope, whose voice had gone unheard for so long, into the spotlight. 

2. Bad Feminist: Essays by Roxanne Gay

If you’re looking for your next nonfiction read, Gay’s Bad Feminist is a collection of essays on race, culture, and women’s rights. Bad Feminist is about reconciling an identity as a feminist with all the flaws and fallibilities of being human. What made the book so engaging for me was Gay’s incorporation of pop culture into her discussions of politics; while Gay tackled serious topics, her humor and wit kept the text from being too heavy.  

3. Hood Feminism: Notes From the Women That a Movement Forgot by Mikki Kendall

Similar to Bad Feminist, Hood Feminism explores feminism and intersectionality through a series of essays. Above all, Kendall’s book is a critique of the modern feminist movement, which she argues focuses mainly on white feminism. She reveals glaring oversights in the mainstream movement, like the fact that basic survival needs are not considered “feminist” issues, despite the many women who face hunger, violence, and poverty on a daily basis. I would say Hood Feminism is an important read for anyone who claims the label of feminist. 

4. Becoming by Michelle Obama

At this point, if you haven’t read Michelle Obama’s clever and inspiring memoir, what are you doing? The memoir starts with her childhood on the South Side of Chicago and takes the reader through her life, from motherhood to becoming the First Lady of the United States. My favorite part of the book was how personal it felt, a memoir from a larger-than-life figure that felt like a conversation with a close friend. 

5. The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir 

A recommendation from my roommate, this last one is definitely on my to-read list. Published in 1949, The Second Sex is associated with the start of the second wave of feminism. Beauvoir reflects on the treatment of women throughout history from a philosophical and historical viewpoint. In her own words, the purpose of the book was to explain “why a woman’s situation, still, even today, prevents her from exploring the world’s basic problems.” 

This March, take some time to support female authors by reading one of these books. There’s something for everyone, whether you’re looking for a feminist retelling of a classic myth or a collection of thought-provoking essays.

Sophia Stockton

UC Berkeley '24

Sophia is a junior at UC Berkeley, where she is currently studying sociology and psychology. Originally from San Diego, Sophia spends most of her free time at the beach, listening to music, cooking, or taking photos.