Style > Fashion

DOWNSIZING YOUR CLOSET: MINIMALISM AND SUSTAINABILITY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Moving into a dorm with less than half of the storage space I had back home made me realize just how unnecessarily large my wardrobe was. My drawers refused to close and my closet was impossible to organize. After reflecting on what clothing items were taking up this space, I realized how much of my wardrobe was made up of low-quality, cheap, and trendy pieces that would last me a maximum of a few months before becoming unwearable. 

Learning how to cut down on clothes and leaving only what you actually need can be a daunting task. These are a couple of methods that have helped me keep new purchases to a minimum and downsize what I already have: 

On Downsizing:

Sort

While it will (probably) make a mess, it is good to know what you have before you start deciding what to get rid of. Evaluate your closet by new standards. The clothing pieces that you haven’t worn in a while are ones that can take up too much space. 

Donate

Donating clothes that are in good condition prevents extra waste from ending up in landfills. This is an opportunity to choose the environmentally friendly option when disposing of unneeded clothes. Along with being beneficial to the environment, donating clothes is helpful to people who need them. 

On Buying More Clothes:

Thrift

Thrifting is where sustainable clothing and affordability intersect. Flea markets are also a fun way to shop, as you can find really unique items. While accessibility to in-person thrift stores can be limited, there is a growing network of online resell and thrift shops that provide the same low prices. Being conscious about what clothes I need and what I don’t when I thrift has made me feel more comfortable in my own style and in knowing that I’m not making unnecessary purchases. 

Basics

Investing in durable, timeless pieces is important, especially when dealing with a lack of space. The most universal basics are white tee shirts, jeans, blazers, and a black dress, but they can be anything that can outlast the trends. These are staples that are worth spending a little bit more on just because of how long they can last. 

Statement Pieces

As opposed to basics, statement pieces are something to have in every wardrobe. These are items of clothing that draw attention and can be the center of an outfit’s composition. My statement pieces are often my pants and shoes, which can have a lot of color and patterns. 

Individual Style

What I consider the best way to cut down on unnecessary purchases is determining your own style. The frequency of microtrends and the introduction of new aesthetics can make determining what you like overwhelming, but finding clothes you like is the biggest step away from being an overconsumer of fast fashion and towards having a more manageable closet.

Elyse Brown

Millersville