Donovan Edwards, ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

You saw him playing on the field for our varsity football team from 2008-201o. On March 9, 2011 he participated in Cal’s Pro Day and on April 20, 2011 he partook in the San Francisco 49ers’ Local Pro Day.

At Cal, he played in 34 games with 18 starts all at right tackle during his three seasons with the program. In 2010, he was one of only two Cal offensive lineman along with Mitchell Schwartz to start all 12 games, making each of his starts at right tackle. He was also the winner of the Ken Harvey Award (as award given annually to the Cal player showing special academic commitment and improvement)

Check out Her Campus’s interview with Donovan! 

Her Campus: What was your year, major, and hometown?
Donovan Edwards: I was in the class of 2011, majored in Legal Studies, and I’m from Richmond, CA. Richmond is about 15mins away from Berkeley, so I’m a local kid.

HC: When did you first start playing football? Did you ever consider playing a different sport?
DE: I started playing football at the age of 7 and also played baseball at the same time. As I grew older I got more attached to football and dropped baseball, but I still like to watch baseball.

HC: What was your favorite part about Cal game days?
DE: My absolute favorite part about Cal Game days next to winning the game was March To Victory. March To Victory is a pregame rally where Cal players walk through a line of Cal family members and fans before home games!

HC: Where was your favorite place to grab a bite to eat?
DE: I actually had four places I loved to eat at on campus during my time at Cal. Those places were: The Mandarin House, Steve’s Korean, IB’s, and La Burrita.

HC: What are you up to now?
DE: Well now currently I am going through the application and interview processes for the Contra Costa County Sheriff Deputy position and the Santa Clara County Sheriff Deputy position. In addition to that, I’m also chasing my dream of being a professional Football player. I played with the San Francisco 49ers during preseason before being released at the end of August. In the time since then I’ve been in contact with other NFL teams while also pursuing my other career as a Sheriff Deputy. 

HC: How would you describe yourself in three words?
DE: Shy, Underdog, and Courageous. lol 

HC: What was your most memorable moment at Berkeley?
DE: My most memorable moment at Cal next to winning games on the field had to be the graduation ceremony I was able to take part in last spring. Throughout my time at Cal, it never really set in that I was going to the #1 Public University in the country until I graduated… 

HC: What’s your advice for incoming freshman who want to play
DE: My advice for any incoming freshman who want to play football at Cal is to first learn how to stay on top of your time by learning the importance of prioritizing upcoming tasks. Secondly, make sure school comes before football in order to set yourself up for ultimate success. Lastly, after making sure your academics are in check, give your all in the film room, in the weight room, and on the field for success on the collegiate level and a opportunity at the professional level.

Source on player stats:
http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/edwards_donovan00.html

Elizabeth is a senior majoring in American Studies with a concentration in consumer behavior at the University of California, Berkeley. You'll find her at the pool swimming with the Cal club water polo team or running through campus training for the next half marathon. In addition to an active lifestyle, Elizabeth loves to keep up to date with the latest tech trends and is always looking for a new recipe to try out! Elizabeth hopes to pursue a career in public relations and marketing after graduation.