Nighttime Routine
Nighttime Routine
Graphic By Addie Abujade
Wellness

CREATING THE IDEAL NIGHTTIME ROUTINE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

While morning routines remain in the limelight, nighttime routines shouldn’t be overlooked. How you unwind after a long day of productivity sets you up for an even better tomorrow. Having a good nighttime routine also aids in better sleep, as well as a smoother morning routine. If you’re an early riser, you might want to consider how planning your evenings can impact your health and happiness. 

Step One: prioritize your needs. 

If you suffer from anxiety or an overwhelming amount of stress (if you’re in college, this is the case more often than not), you may want to consider incorporating relaxation and creating a calm atmosphere into your routine. This could consist of taking a hot shower, using a face mask, turning on your JBL and playing soft tunes, lighting a candle, reading a book, etc. However, if you hardly have time during your day to complete specific tasks, maybe you need to check off a few things in order to feel accomplished. Some people don’t have enough time to work out during the mornings or daytime, so they hit the gym or walk around campus in the evenings. Working out in the evenings, even at low intensity, can also aid sleep.

Step Two: Decide on a specific time to begin your evening routine. 

Traditional jobs end at 5-6 p.m. Dinner could be anywhere, typically, from 5-8 p.m. Maybe you’d like to count dinner into your routine. Ultimately, cooking can be a great destresser. 

Step Three: Create a list. 

Pick three things you’d like to accomplish by bedtime and another three feel-good actions you’d like to do to prepare you up for tomorrow. 

For example: 

Tasks to complete: 

• Finish a discussion post
  • Read an assigned book for 30 minutes
  • Go on a 30 minute walk on campus

Feel-good actions to prepare you for tomorrow: 

• Meditate for twenty minutes
  • Watch the sunset
  • Skincare routine

Step Four: Time management.

Depending on when you start your nighttime routine and when you go to sleep, you should have between three to five hours. Separate your hours with your work tasks first, then work your way down to feel-good activities. Your last hour should be minimal effort and should involve relaxation of the mind and the body. This could include stretching, light reading, or listening to music. 

Last minute TIPS: 

Create the atmosphere.

This includes lighting, music, a clean desk, workout clothes laid out for the next day, white noise, etc. Don’t look at a screen for at least 30 minutes before sleeping. For your entire evening routine, wear blue light glasses if possible when working on your computer or looking at your phone. Decrease laptop brightness. 

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. 

Just because you’re unwinding doesn’t mean your body doesn’t still need water. Prepare a glass or bottle of water to drink in the morning. 

Clear your mind. 

After a certain point in the day, take whatever worries and responsibilities you have and set them aside for tomorrow. You won’t do yourself any favors stressing yourself out about them at 10 p.m. 

Smile. 

Smiling has an interesting effect on the brain. Even if it isn’t initially genuine, if you smile before you go to sleep, it promotes a more peaceful sleep and a more positive mood when waking up the next morning. 

Pick up the phone.

Finally, remember to make time to reach out to your loved ones. When our days are filled with classes, homework, exercise, jobs, internships and more, we can inadvertently neglect our personal relationships. If you don’t have enough time during the day, take some time in the evenings to FaceTime or call at least one person you love. 

Sarah Laver

UC Berkeley '22