Campus Celebrity: Hollywood Star, Chris Pine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Name: Chris Pine

Year: Alumni; Class of 2002

Claim to fame: Lead actor in Star Trek (2009)

Best known for starring as the young, hot hero in the 2009 blockbuster movie Star Trek, actor Chris Pine was actually a fellow Bear once! Born and raised in Los Angeles, California, Pine comes from a background in performing arts (both his parents and grandparents worked in Hollywood show biz); so naturally, he spent his undergrad years dabbling in theatre alongside studying the humanities. In 2002, he graduated from UC Berkeley with B.A. in English and began to pursue a career in acting from then on. 

In 2003, the dreamy, blue-eyed hunk made his first television appearance on NBC’s hit medical drama ER, as well as The Guardian and CSI:Miami. A year later, he debuted on the silver screen in Princess Diaries 2: A Royal Engagement. Acting opposite of Anne Hathaway, Pine played her handsome but haughty love interest, Nicholas Devereaux. He also starred in another romantic comedy, Just My Luck, with Lindsay Lohan in 2006.

In 2007, Pine accepted the part of James T. Kirk for Star Trek and turned down a role for the film adaptation of White Jazz. Before Star Trek’s 2009 release, he also appeared in several other movies, theatre productions, and TV shows such as The Carriers (2009), Bottle Shock (2008), Fat Pig (2007; which he garnered much praise for), and more. Delving deeper into the world of Star Trek, he was also featured in a documentary on the classic series where the original Captain Kirk, William Shatner, interviewed and even arm wrestled with him. 

Pine’s role on Star Trek earned him nominations for MTV’s Movie Award for Best Breakout Star, and Teen Choice Awards for Best Choice Movie Rumble and Choice Movie Fresh Face Male. In 2010, Pine won the LA Drama Critics Circle Award for his work in the theatre production The Lieutenant of Inishmore. The Hollywood Reporter also named Pine as one of Hollywood’s up-and-coming “A-Listers”.

Currently, Pine is set to reprise his leading role on Star Trek in its sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness, that is due for release in theaters on May 17th, 2013. And sorry ladies, since spring 2012, Pine has been seeing swimsuit model, Dominique Pike. 

Sources:

10 Things You Don’t Know About Chris Pine