Cal Men’s Basketball Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Name: Cal Men’s Basketball team

Year: 2012-2013

The Cal Men’s Basketball program had always seemed to be overshadowed by the football team, until now.  With just six games remaining in the 2012-2013 season, the basketball team currently has an overall record of 15-9, with a still-impressive 7-5 record in conference play. 

Historically, turnout at Cal basketball games has been considerably lower than at the football games. Every fall, home games at the California Memorial Stadium are a staple of the weekend social scene; loyal fans, exuberant students, and alumni young and old, all converge to support their team, rain or shine, win or lose.

In an effort to replicate the electric atmosphere of the stadium at Haas Pavilion, the Cal Athletics department partnered with the Cal Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils. The alliance paid off, resulting in the All-Greek Basketball game against Oregon State on January 31, 2013.  Lured by the prospect of a clinic with a Cal team of their choice, hundreds of members of the Greek community who had never before attended a basketball game flooded the stands, along with dozens of ever-faithful regular fans and UC Rally Committee members. The basketball team, which had been lagging Oregon by several points earlier in the game, bounced back for a 71-68 win; the excitement was palpable on and off the court, with the players drawing strength from the energy in the stands and the fans reveling in the Bears’ close victory. 

Cal Men’s Basketball earned many new fans that day, and they have not disappointed since, winning three of their most recent four games.  These included a home victory against rival UCLA, who was tidily dispatched on Valentine’s Day, with a final score of 76-63.  While the team still has six games left in the regular season, what we know for sure is that Cal Basketball is a program to be reckoned with, and well worth supporting with our presence in the stands.