Brothers of Alpha Tau Omega Hold Candlelight Vigil Honoring U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

On September 12, 2012, armed Islamist militants stormed the American diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya; in the firefight, the American Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens was killed, along with three members of his staff.

Stevens had been a brother of UC Berkeley’s Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, Gamma Iota chapter. As the international community condemned the attack and mourned the casualties, the brothers of the Gamma Iota chapter organized a candlelight vigil at the Alpha Tau Omega house in remembrance.

The evening of the 12th, brothers in suits moved in and out of the small crowd that had gathered in front of the house, distributing lit candles in clear cups. An image of Stevens was projected onto a sheet hung from the veranda, which was further illuminated by the news vans that had set themselves up in the driveway.
The chapter president, vice president, and risk management chair all presented short remarks explaining how Stevens’ actions and character exemplified Alpha Tau Omega’s ideal of “True Merit”. After, the president read a statement from one of Stevens’ fraternity brothers from the pledge class of 1979, which was then followed by a moment of silence honoring Chris Stevens and his accomplishments.
The Gamma Iota Chapter of Alpha Tau Omega issued a public statement for the press, which was as follows:

“”The Brothers of the Gamma Iota chapter of Alpha Tau Omega are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Ambassador Chris Stevens. Although it has been 30 years since Brother Stevens graduated from UC Berkeley, his professional life has provided an example for our fraternity because he encompassed the ideals that we hold dear and demonstrated our most important quality: true merit. Our creed states that “True men the world over should stand together and contend for supremacy of good over evil.” We wish now, more than ever, to work for a world where peace, rather than terror, can be an international constant. Our thoughts and prayers are with Brother Stevens’ family and friends. We wish Brother Stevens the utmost love and respect in our eternal brotherhood.” 

Sources:
1. http://www.facebook.com/events/490941730918524/491087987570565/?notif_t=…

Elizabeth is a senior majoring in American Studies with a concentration in consumer behavior at the University of California, Berkeley. You'll find her at the pool swimming with the Cal club water polo team or running through campus training for the next half marathon. In addition to an active lifestyle, Elizabeth loves to keep up to date with the latest tech trends and is always looking for a new recipe to try out! Elizabeth hopes to pursue a career in public relations and marketing after graduation.