This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Fresh from the inaugural presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, New Girl takes a political turn in an episode centered on the impending election. The show’s characters reveal their political inclinations through a bet that spices up the plotline.

Jess and Cece, staunch Clinton supporters, set out to register new voters, while Schmidt, an ardent detractor of both Clinton and Trump, challenges their ability to sway supporters. Schmidt’s wager stipulates that if Jess and Cece register five new voters, he’ll vote for Clinton. If not, they’re obligated to vote for Winston. The two friends confidently accept the challenge, but their efforts face initial setbacks at the campaign office, where they encounter unenthusiastic reception from Mary Ellen. Undeterred, they venture door to door, albeit with little success. 

I found that the beginning of the episode in and itself is a big step forward in passing the Bechdel Test because it mainly focuses on the two leading female characters. It also not only touches on the topic of women in voting but, how the youth of 2016 didn’t care too much about voting, therefore many of them were unregistered. 

Their fortunes change when they enter a sorority house. Initially hesitant due to past sorority-related apprehensions, Jess and Cece connect with the students, amassing signatures for voter registration. However, the signatures are fraudulent, rendering their efforts moot. Despite this, Jess inspires the girls with a passionate speech about women’s voting rights, only to realize that they’re, in fact, supporters of Trump. Disheartened by their revelation, Jess and Cece abandon their mission, losing the bet.

Though it’s supposed to be seen as comedic relief, I wouldn’t see Jess’ efforts as “in vain” because, at the end of the day, she reminded the new generation of women how important it is to have the right to vote. She gave an amazing speech on how their voices deserved to be heard and how they have the power to make a difference, which isn’t something that you would see a female character do in an average sitcom about a woman who just broke up with her boyfriend and moves in with a bunch of guys.

Based on this alone, I would give this episode a passing grade on the Bechdel Test.  

Simultaneously, renowned for his meticulous nature, Schmidt struggles with the loft’s disordered mail arrangement. His quest for order unravels hidden corners, unveiling Cece’s concealed college acceptance letter. In his pursuit of rectifying the disarray at the campaign office, Schmidt inadvertently becomes more engaged in the political process, organizing mail and even making calls, albeit reluctantly due to his staunch Republican beliefs.

The episode’s conclusion sees Jess impersonating Trump as part of Schmidt’s devised payback for losing the bet. Dressed in a suit, wearing a wig, and imitating Trump’s mannerisms, Jess delivers a surprisingly decent impression. The episode effectively balances political humor and character development, using the election as a backdrop to explore the dynamics of friendship and the characters’ idiosyncrasies.