Wellness > Health

5 WAYS TO STAY SAFE ON CAMPUS DURING THE PANDEMIC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As in-person classes resume and people start meeting up with friends, life seems to have turned back to normal. But as much as we’ve all missed in-person activities and events, it’s important to remember that the pandemic isn’t over yet. The delta variant of COVID-19 is very much prevalent and is two times more contagious than the original strain of the coronavirus, according to the ​​Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Even people who are completely vaccinated can contract and spread the virus to others, so please continue to take the proper safety measures!

Despite Zoom University being tough on many of us, many people are still struggling with transitioning back into in-person classes again, myself included. Here are five things you can do to make sure that you’re being as safe as possible while attending your in-person classes:

1. Get Vaccinated

This is one of the most important tasks you can do to stay safe during a pandemic. If you don’t have any medical risks, get your COVID-19 vaccine as quickly as possible. According to the CDC, they’re safe and also effective in combating the virus, so what are you waiting for? The vaccines won’t prevent you from getting COVID-19 entirely, but they will keep you from getting dangerously sick if you do contract the virus.

1. Wear Your Masks

I’m sure you’ve heard this nonstop, but it’s important to wear your masks consistently, especially when you’re indoors! If you need a break, please step outside of the room or outdoors. UC Berkeley allows students to take off their masks in a room if they’re actively eating or drinking, but it’s a much better idea to step outside to respect your peers. Also, don’t forget to pack extra masks in your bag in case of emergencies!

1. Disinfect Your Desk, Laptop, Phone, and Whatever Else You Need to Feel Safe

Some people might find this step a bit excessive, but you know what? Who cares! Be a little shameless and bring a pack of Clorox wipes everywhere you go. If disinfecting your area settles your nerves, do it!

I know it might feel awkward disinfecting your desk in class, but the delta variant isn’t something we should brush aside. I make sure to wipe down my area every class simply because so many students are going in and out of the lecture halls. If it’ll make you feel more comfortable, offer wipes to those around you. They’re usually more than happy to disinfect their areas as well!

1. Sanitize Your Hands Frequently

Whether it be washing your hands often or squirting hand sanitizer ten times a day, make sure to do it! This is especially important to do before you eat. We’re going in and out of so many different halls every day and touching handles left to right, so it’s important to wash your hands as frequently as you can. You can even pack food gloves that you can pop on before you eat something.

1. Stay Informed

It’s important to stay informed about your health, so get tested regularly. UC Berkeley makes the process convenient by offering free on-campus testing sites, so take advantage of it. Click here for instructions on scheduling COVID-19 tests through the eTang portal. I promise it isn’t too painful!

UC Berkeley also sends out COVID-19 updates frequently, so make sure to check your emails and stay informed! Similarly, take note of what local news channels are saying about the COVID-19 situation. The more informed you are, the better you can protect yourself and those around you! 

For more information about the COVID-19 situation, visit the CDC website.

Tiffany Huang

UC Berkeley '22

Tiffany is a fourth year undergraduate at UC Berkeley, pursuing a degree in Media Studies. She holds a passion in writing and loves looking into anything relating to beauty, lifestyle, and pop culture. When Tiffany is not preoccupied by any work, you can typically catch her hanging out with her friends and family or discovering new movies, tv shows, and music to binge. Tiffany is eager about sharing her thoughts on relatable topics that you could possibly resonate with or get a good laugh out of it.