This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Losing a loved one is hard, and the time it takes to move through the grieving process can be even more difficult. In the thick of despair, keeping your spirit alive seems impossible, so remaining hopeful is important. That’s why I gave myself room to feel everything.

1. I see you everywhere  

My day-to-day tasks are filled with constant reminders of our precious time together. As I walk through places we used to go, I catch myself staring at the tables we used to sit at. A blank stare followed by a wish for us to see each other again. 

2. I hear your voice

When I reminisce about the countless conversations, phone calls, and chats we’ve had throughout the years, it makes me feel blessed to have known you. The sound of your laugh echoes through my mind and leads me to a peaceful place—a place where I am calm and with you again.

3. The food we once shared doesn’t taste the same 

As we grew closer, we united our families and created a community. What better way is there to build community than breaking bread? We bonded by eating our favorite meals, but now, even the tastiest meal cannot satiate my hunger because I am no longer able to share it with you. 

4. I feel your energy

Sometimes I touch sentimental items that embody memories of our time together and it deepens my sadness. There are other times where I run my fingers through your picture on the order of service they handed out at your viewing and I feel a glimpse of hope. I hope that you are happy and in a better place. 

5. I woke up and smelled the flowers

You were gone earlier than I expected, but that was out of my control. I avoided facing the true reason for your absence. Then, I tried to act like everything was fine. That’s where I went wrong, because grief is a process and a lengthy one at that. 

Grief is painful but also common. Losing people we care about is a part of life, but so is love. Surrounding yourself with loved ones and acknowledging your emotions will put you a step forward in your healing journey. 

Diana Urias

UC Berkeley '22

Diana is currently a senior majoring in Sociology at UC Berkeley and looking forward to graduating in 2022. She is from San Jose, California and has a personal interest in working with young people who are in foster care and or incarcerated in juvenile detention. Diana also enjoys writing as a form of therapy and self-expression particularly journaling.