This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The fatal woman takes no prisoners, just like you. Empowered and running off the never ending fuel of her own confidence, she’s unaltered by the perspectives of those around her, especially men. Do you feel like wreaking havoc? Here’s your inspiration. 

These dominant female leads are your Christian Bale in American Psycho, Leonardo Dicaprio in The Wolf of Wall Street, and your Anthony Soprano or your Tony Montanta. In a world dictated by the opinions of men, allow these women to hold your hand as you determine your path. They won’t always get what they want, but they know how to take it. These five movies will have you feeling less wary of your amazingly abrasive, opinionated, determined, and intelligent self. 

Griselda

The new Netflix mini-series will have you wondering, “How much are tickets to Miami?” This “historical” reiteration of Miami in the 80s is exactly what you need to conquer UC Berkeley this semester. I mean, how hard can classes really be? Certainly nothing compared to conquering a male dominated industry before it was cool to be a “b*tch.” So this week, walk into that computer science or engineering lecture — or any other testosterone-filled room, with the tenacity of Griselda Blanco (Sofia Vergara). 

Kill Bill

Any volume will do! This classic will make you reconsider if revenge is really worth it (Uma Thurman says it is). Get cozy, snuggle up with your favorite Samurai sword, and start writing up a list of professors who failed you… as a “thank you” for the opportunity to grow, of course. 

Gone Girl 

You’re mysterious, you love beer and pizza, you’ve dyed your hair in an effort to reinvent yourself, and maybe you even wait a few hours to respond to texts. You are simply gone, girl. If you laugh at the idea of ever buying a man a PS5 or any other gadget you can fit in a woodshed, this movie is for you. 

Jennifer’s Body

In the mood to become a man-eater? Hall and Oates said it best, but Jennifer (Megan Fox) will give you the Ikeaesque step-by-step instructions. This teen slasher flick is an easy to consume thriller! Amanda Seyfried’s character will probably have you rewatching Mama Mia by the credits. 

The Queen’s Gambit 

“Brain like Berkeley” — no; try “Brain like Beth.” It’s hot to be good at chess now. That “take no prisoners” attitude you’ve surely acquired by now doesn’t apply to your opponents pieces. Take a lesson from Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy), and use your brain to accomplish everything that compels you. 

“Brain like Berkeley” — no; try “Brain like Beth.” It’s hot to be good at chess now.

Antonella Milans

The French term, femme fatale, defines a leading woman who defies the bounds that traditional gender roles confine her in. Whether you’re in for a chill night binging a new show or looking for a bloody thriller, dedicate your watch time to the passionate, cutthroat woman you aim to be. These five movies will refresh your perception of what it means to push the limits in order to follow your empowered, wonderful female mind.

Antonella Milans

UC Berkeley '25