This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Have you ever started reading a book, and realized after many chapters that you still have no idea what’s going on? Have you ever struggled to reach for that next page? Reading slumps are the worst, but we’ve all been there. Sometimes, you just can’t pick up that damn book. 

Instead of giving up on a new book that is supposed to be original, exciting, or different, just go back to the basics! Here are some short, fun reads and OG titles to get you looking at some words on a page. 

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky)

A Gen Z classic! Although the movie is probably more popular than the book, this is all the more reason to read it. If a book is good enough to be made into a movie, then why not enjoy the story the original (and right) way? This coming-of-age book will take you right back to your high school years because it perfectly encapsulates the rollercoaster of emotions of growing up. This is the perfect read for college students who feel like reminiscing.

1. Normal People (Sally Rooney)

When I first started reading this book, I was impatiently waiting for something to happen, like a big plot twist. However, after I reread it through a different lens, I started to appreciate the characters and their dialogue over the course of the story instead of wanting some big unexpected turn of events. 

1. The Deal (Elle Kennedy) 

Okay hear me out, this is a very fun read! My roommates kept urging me to read it, and since I was already in a reading slump, I thought I’d give this romantic story a chance. I won’t lie; I love a good hot story, no matter how cheesy it is! I finished it in two days and was so excited to discuss it with my friends. It’s a good short read to get you reaching for that next page.

Nicole Gonzalez

UC Berkeley '25

Hi! I'm Nicole and I'm a first-year studying Environmental Sciences. I have a passion for journalism, environmentalism, and animals!