What To Wear: Interview Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

As university students, many of us are making our first forays into the world of professional interviews, and suddenly we have to learn a whole new dress code as we immerse ourselves in the culture of the modern North American business world.

Now, I would like to acknowledge that, as a required aesthetic, “professionalism” is problematic. It is a standard of dress emanating from the historical and cultural standards set by white men. But in between cranking out papers, frantically studying for midterms, and catching up on last week’s reading, you probably don’t have time to singlehandedly take down oppressive societal codes. And so, I bring you this article.  

Suit-like sets:

For all the job interviews I attended last year in my summer job search, I wore the exact same black blazer, black pants and white button up collared shirt. Safe and professional, certainly…but also boring, especially for me wearing them again and again.

One way to remedy the boringness is to mix and match the colours and patterns you wear on the top and bottom. Mix complementing colours. Wear a blazer with an interesting pattern. Let a bit of yourself shine through; remember you’re there so the interviewers can get a sense of who you are in person.

For your choice of top, a blouse or button-up shirt in a colour that goes well with the colours you’ve selected for your pants or skirt and blazer. Blazers are not strictly necessary, if it’s a warmer day and you don’t want to get overheated, for example. In that case, definitely ensure your top is professional and sophisticated.

Shoes:

Oxford shoes have a more masculine aesthetic, and they are a sure way to keep your feet comfy and stylish. 

Ballet flats have a more feminine feel, and while they offer little to no arch support, they are very stylish right now, so you should have no trouble finding them in a variety of tones and styles that look both cute and professional. 

I am a firm believer that heels should not be considered mandatory wear for women in business contexts (or any contexts, for that matter, but I digress). If you do like wearing heels, neutrals are probably your safest bet. 

Hair/Makeup:

In my opinion, you shouldn’t feel it is necessary to wear makeup for an interview. Do ensure you’ve taken care of basic hygiene – remember to wash your face and brush your teeth.

Hair can be a touchy subject when it comes to professional contexts, especially if you’ve got natural or curly hair. Unfortunately, curly hair is still viewed as unprofessional by many, and some prefer to tie their curly hair up in a bun, or get it straightened for interviews. Doing either is fine, but there is nothing wrong with wearing it loose, either. As long as it does not cover part of your face (the same rule that applies to everyone, no matter what type of hair you have!) you should be fine. 

It’s important to dress for success, but also remember to be yourself. Good luck out there on the job hunt, collegiettes!

Jacqueline Marchioni is a fifth year Honours English major and a Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice minor.