Vita Sackville-Hii: Celebrating Passions, Living fearlessly!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Vita Sackville-Hii. She is a third year Global Resource Systems major whose outstanding leadership skills have led her to hold many leadership positions on campus. As well as being the Director of the Passion Project at UBC, she serves as a Residence Advisor at Place Vanier and has also been a member of the UBC Synchronized Swimming Team for the past two years. Keep reading to hear more about Vita and her many commitments on campus!

Can you tell me a little bit about yourself and your involvement at UBC?

I came to UBC like many undergrads, not really sure what I wanted to do and overwhelmed by my options. I lived in residence in my first year and that was probably one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, because it made UBC feel like home and helped me get more involved on campus. At the end of first year, I decided to shave my head in a fundraiser called Balding For Dollars. To my surprise, I managed to raise over 5,000 for Cancer research and give back to a cause that was close to my heart. I think that was the first major moment of my time at UBC where I felt that I was an advocate for something I believed in and something that was important for me, and since then I have been eager to find ways to make a meaningful difference on and off campus. After first year I became an advisor in Totem Park, then Place Vanier the following year. I have really enjoyed supporting first years and contributing to make their experience as positive as my first year was! I’ve also been a member of the UBC Synchronized Swimming Team for the past two years, and had the opportunity to compete nationally against other university clubs. Finally, I have been a member of a student club called The Passion Project since my first year.  

What is something you enjoy/are passionate about? Where has it taken you?

I have always loved being in the water. I started competitive swimming when I was six years old and have continued my water-sport involvement since then. I have tried many other aquatic sports like waterpolo, diving, synchro, and I have worked as a Lifeguard and Swim Instructor/Coach. For me, being in the water is something that relaxes me, and it holds a lot of positive memories, I guess. When I first started swimming, I would train with the same group of friends almost every day. Our swim club was such a positive community to be a part of, and it shaped my perspective on what it means to be part of a supportive team. I think that I always try to bring this sense of community into all the roles I take on. I really do believe in the power of personal connections and when I can do something I love with a community of people that feels just as passionate me you about it, that’s when I feel the happiest. 

Tell us about the Passion Project!

When did you first become involved and how have your experiences with the project been so far?

I became involved in my first year. My cousin is one of the co-founders of the project so she brought me to a meeting one day and ever since then I’ve stuck around. If you told me in my first year that I would be club director one day, I would not have believed you. I was honestly really intimidated by the other club executives who were older than me and all seemed to be doing such interesting things around campus. But I followed along and learned a lot, and soon found myself taking on more leadership on the team as members began to graduate. Some Passion Project highlights over the years have been helping put together a Food Conference, partnering with Queen Alexandra Elementary and the UBC Centre for Community Engaged Learning for a Reading Week Placement, running an Open-Mic Passion Showcase and collaborating with Portraits of UBC to create a “Passions of UBC” photo album.

What kind of impact are you hoping for in the community?

I really hope that if anything our message as a club can be communicated to students far and wide, because it is really just about enhancing the student experience and encouraging people to do more of what they love, and use their passions/talents/interests to give back to their communities.

What is your most memorable experience at UBC thus far?

I can think of so many moments, but one that really stands out is making the decision to switch faculties from Science to LFS. I especially love my major (BSc in Global Resource Systems) because it really just embodies everything that I am passionate about. I get to major in a resource and a region of the world while taking courses across many different faculties as well as going on an academic exchange and participating in field schools and internships (so far I’ve gone to Nepal and India, and I am heading to Norway next January!). Since it is a very small program we all meet for a class once a week, and there is usually food for us to share. It’s such a great community to be a part of and I can’t believe that at the end of all this I can get a degree for it. I am so grateful, and I hope that every student has the chance to find a subject area and program that inspires them and supports them the way GRS has for me.

You have a number of leadership positions on campus this year, including being an Residence Advisor. How do you juggle your many positions and your responsibilities as a student??

Organization. I am a chronic organizer so a good planner and pen are my go to for making a schedule. The best way for me to manage my time is write to do lists and keep on top of them. It can get pretty hectic still, but I think I am getting better and being more reasonable with my time and taking care of myself. This year I took a reduced course load (4 in first term and 3 in second term) to make sure that I could balance my commitments. Another thing that I have learned is to be proactive with managing stress. I try to look ahead and if I forsee a busy week with, for example, a paper, a midterm, a club event and a rez event all in one week, I try to plan ahead and email my TAs or communicate with my execs or supervisors about having lots on my plate. I think the trick to balancing commitments is being honest and reasonable with yourself and others on what you can and cannot do. When you can find your sweet spot and be involved in many things successfully it is so rewarding and fulfilling.

What would suggest to other students who want to become involved on-campus. 

Keep an open mind and don’t be afraid to take advantage of every single opportunity you see. Apply for anything that interests you, because applying doesn’t necessarily mean a commitment, but it means that you keep that door open. Take advantage of the leaders that you encounter around campus and even if they intimidate you, try your best to get to know them and learn from them. It is normal not feel 100% comfortable in a leadership position and it is normal to feel nervous about trying new things. But, if you are able to push past that initial fear and take a risk, you will be surprised by how far you can go and one day you might be the type of mentor you’ve always looked up to.

Akshita (pronounced Ak-she-tha) hails from the beautiful lands of Nairobi, Kenya.Her interests dabble in everything from Astronomy and Social Issues to occasionally writing about herself in the third person.She enjoys photography, travelling and exploring Vancouver!