Vancouver Ice Victims: The Tale of a Girl and Her Broken Egg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

It’s been a special season for Vancouverites. The unusually snowy conditions have plunged these west coasters into the deep end of Canadian winters.    

“So much snow this year!” “This is a weird year…” “Why is it so cold?” may be some common earworms heard around campus after a snowfall. Other commentary may be scoffs from east coast Canadians, mocking the ignorant chaos surrounding them. Maybe you’ll hear a murmur about Quebec coming from them. Or grumblings from students across the board about their exams getting postponed. 

Nevertheless, this winter has been a time for making great memories and having fun. People love to take trips up to Whistler, make snow angels, go sledding, have snowball fights, and do some extreme and inventive snow-sculpting…

However, it hasn’t all been fun and games this winter; the slippery roads and sidewalks have proven to be dangerous obstacles for pedestrians to face. Going to class, Shoppers Drug Mart, the bus loop, or the Nest has never been harder. Students attempting to get around campus with these minimally-salted walkways, or walkways with icy patches housing frozen bits of salt, become closer to penguins on ice skates than humans with legs. Or, much like people daring to slide across the frozen fountain on campus.

Last week, a new name joined the growing list of people who’ve eaten shit trying to commute in and around Vancouver this winter. Her name is Jessica Elliott. “I was just smoking a cigarette and carrying my groceries, walking back from the grocery store in the Village, when I slipped and fell on my side.” After “eating shit,” she checked for the safety of her groceries, primarily her egg carton. The silver lining? “Only one egg broke! He’s the real victim here,” she explained. She also gained a couple of bruises, one on her hip and one on her elbow that hasn’t faded much since her Great Fall. “I bruise like a peach,” she explained, showing off her battle scar.

To all of the Vancouver Ice Victims out there, don’t feel too bad. “All great empires must fall,” Jessica concluded.

HCUBC thanks Jessica for being featured as our ice-victim of the week. Here’s to a speedy recovery to all those affected! 

Hi! My name is Annie. I'm a first year student at University of British Columbia, originally from San Diego, California. Neuroscience is something I get excited about. I also like poetry, obnoxiously bright colors, and intersectional feminism. Oh, and cats. If you see me around, I'm probably wearing my banana-yellow sweatshirt and listening to Simon and Garfunkel or something.