This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Let’s face it: it’s cold out, it’s probably raining, and the realization that you have to start working on this semester’s assignments and papers is starting to really sink in.

Yes, fellow collegiettes, it’s the beginning of the Winter semester. And it’s easy to forget in the flurry of everything else, but it’s also time to start applying on summer jobs! (Yes, already. Now. Run.)

My time in Arts Co-op so far has taught me that you usually need to apply to about 30-40 positions before getting one. I know that can be discouraging and feel like a huge amount of work. If the thought of applying for summer jobs already is overwhelming and disheartening, here are some tips to get you through:

1.     Keep cover letter and resume templates.

Obviously it’s hugely important to ensure that each application is tailored to the specific job you’re applying for. That being said, it can be very helpful to have a general template you can work from for each application so that you don’t have to start from scratch each time. The same can be said for sentences in your cover letters that describe your skill set. If you find yourself composing new sentences about your communication skills for every application, it might be useful to re-use your previous sentences and paragraphs describing which you used for jobs requiring some of the same skills. Just be sure to make any appropriate alterations needed for the new position.

2.     Simplify the process.

It can be easy to feel overwhelmed at the prospect of applying for a job if only because it can feel like a huge ordeal to try and convince someone that you’re right for a particular position. In order to combat this, it can be helpful to break down the process into manageable pieces. Sit down and create a list of steps you need to go through from finding a job you want to apply on to actually submitting your application. For me this looked like identifying the qualifications needed for a particular position, then dividing them up under a couple different positions I have had previously where I developed those skills, and then turning those lists into body paragraphs on my cover letter. Breaking job applications down into smaller pieces like this can make them seem less overwhelming.   

3.     Err on the side of confidence.

People, women especially, are often accustomed to minimizing their own accomplishments and skills in order not to seem boastful. However, if there was ever a time to own your own skills and abilities, this is it. You are probably a much more competent person than you think you are and have more skills than you think you do. If you are having a lot of trouble with this one, consider sitting down with a friend who is familiar with your past professional development and asking her to describe some of your skills and qualities. She will likely be able to have an easier time articulating your abilities without inhibition. 

Need someone to look over your résumé or cover letter, or to help you practice your interview skills? Check out advising resources at UBC!

Jacqueline Marchioni is a fifth year Honours English major and a Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice minor.