Scrumptious Pumpkin Pie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

To be completely honest with you, I was never a big fan of pie. I know, crazy huh? I just never understood what the big deal was. That is, until I came upon ED Smith’s traditional pumpkin pie recipe.* I decided to make it one holiday with my sister (she’s an avid fan of pie… I guess that gene went to her!).

As the aroma of sugared squash and nutmeg wafted through the oven door, I felt compelled to try a slice of the pie. The pie just looked so good, with its soft complexion of Autumn orange, encased in a golden homemade pie shell. When I bit into the creamy pie, the thick and almost custard-like texture mixed so well with the flavours of spices and pumpkin. It was delicious!

We’ve experimented with the pie recipe a few times, but the original ED Smith recipe really is the best one, I believe. That being said, I do prefer another pie crust recipe that’s much simpler, yet just as scrumptious when paired with the pumpkin filling.

Cutting in the butter

For the Crust
makes two 8 inch pie crusts

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup cold butter (unsalted)
1/2 cup cold water

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour with the salt.
2. Then cut in the butter until the butter pieces are the size of small peas.
3. Add the cold water one tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms. Depending on the temperature, you might need more or less than 1/2 cup of cold water. Turn the dough out and wrap in plastic. Chill in the fridge for at least twenty minutes.
4. Cut the dough in two. Roll out each ball of dough so that they’re roughly ten inches in diameter. Place inside pie plate. When pumpkin pie filling is done, fill it up to the brim and bake.

Pumpkin, eggs, sugar, spices — check

For the Filling:
makes two pies

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 can (796 mL) pumpkin puree
2 cups (500 mL) packed brown sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
1 tsp (4 mL) ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1 1/2 cups (370 mL) evaporated milk

Preparation:
1. In the bowl of a food processor or by hand in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add diced or grated butter and pulse or using a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add shortening and continue until combined. Gradually add water just until the pastry begins to come together.
2. Turn out to a lightly floured surface and gather together into a ball. Cut into 2 even pieces, wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Roll out each portion as you need it, on a lightly floured surface, transfer to pie plate and crimp edges.
4. Beat eggs lightly in medium bowl. Add the pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt – stir until well combined. Blend in milk. Pour filling in pie shell.
5. Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C) and continue baking 30-35 minutes longer or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool.

*Find the pumpkin pie filling recipe on the official ED Smith website: http://www.edsmith.com/en/reci…

Mmm… pumpkin pie!

Selenna Ho is passionate about writing and is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team. Her experiences include working as Editor in Chief of Sojourners, a Journalist for Surrey Women's Centre, and as an Editorial Assistant for PRISM Magazine. Selenna has had original research published in the Journal of Undergraduate Ethnography. She has also had short stories and poetry published by the Young Writers of Canada and The World Poetry Movement, where she won a gold medal for her poetry. When not in school, Selenna enjoys travelling around the world, or relaxing with her family and friends.