This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Reading week is almost upon us, and if you’re like me then you’re ready to be just about anywhere but school. You might even be ready to volunteer to drive the next Tesla Roadster Elon Musk decides to blast into space. That may not happen again for a while, so here are some (slightly) more realistic options: 

1. Bali, Indonesia

Maybe you’d like to jet off to Indonesia and live in luxury for a week, on the patio of your own private lake. Oh, too expensive you say? Well then, how about…

2. Mediterranean Sea, Greece

You and your roomies can all chip in to rent a sailboat and spend a week sweeping over the crisp, clear waters of the Mediterranean. Huh, none of you can sail… okay, we’ll work with that.

3. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

You can stay on the continent, see some beautiful natural landscapes, and still have some exotic relaxation time. Sound good? What, you can’t speak Spanish? It isn’t that big of a deal, but if you insist…

4. Whistler, BC

You can stay in Canada and visit the picturesque slopes for some awesome skiing and other heart-pounding winter sports. Wait, what do you mean you don’t ski? You aren’t making this easy…

5. Kitsilano Beach, Vancouver BC

If you want to stay in Vancouver, I suppose you could hop on a bus and visit Kits Beach, but it won’t be as nice this time of year as it is in the picture, probably pretty windy and grey… Too cold? Ugh, fine, how about…   

6. Nitobe Memorial Garden, UBC

If you aren’t going to leave campus at all, you might as well haul your butt over to these wondrous gardens and take in the utter beauty of… what do you mean you don’t feel like walking?

7. Your Dorm

Fine. I’m tired of being your travel agent. You might as well just stay in your room and sleep. At this point, that actually doesn’t sound half bad. Happy Sleeping Week!

Photo credits: treehugger.com, bali-indonesia.com, paralosyachts.com, loscabosguide.com, whistler.com, tripsavvy.com, pwp.vpl.ca, tripadvisor.com

Avery is a second-year student at the University of British Columbia, where she is exploring her innumerable and possibly not very practical interests. She hails from the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and has plans to do much more travelling before she gets too tired. If given a choice she would much rather have gone to Hogwarts, but readily admits that UBC is a close second. Her most notable talent is an uncanny ability to quote Hamilton during almost any conversation.