A Journey Into Vancouver Coffee Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Guzzling down a cup of Joe every morning is practically a daily ritual for each and every one of us coffee lovers.

Beyond the energy boost relayed by our favorite caffeinated beverage, there is an intricate history and culture dedicated to brewing the perfect pots of coffee found in adorable cafes scattered all over Vancity. On the surface, it may seem like the debate is merely between Starbucks and Canada’s very own Tim Horton’s, but if we plunge into the frenzy of Vancouver’s coffee shops it is clear that there are definitely ones that brew superior cups of coffee, landing them a spot amongst the crème de la crème of coffee makers in the city.

Popular legend says that the discovery of coffee should be attributed to an Ethiopian goat herder named Kaldi, who observed that his goats became more energetic after eating a particular berry that contains coffee beans at its’ core. Today, we’re in the so-called third wave of coffee connoisseurs, characterized by the crafty, meticulous brewing of coffee best witnessed in specialty coffee shops. These cafes are committed to knowing precisely the whereabouts of their coffee, from the seed all the way to the cup. JJ Bean and Coffee Roaster’s manager Steven Peter explains the importance of uncovering the back story of each cup of joe.

“We’re committed to everything from the proper roast to providing it when it’s fresh. This involves paying attention to everything, from the farmer to the barista.”

The city’s downtown region boasts the best cafes, making it a hotspot for caffeine lovers. It also happens to be home to the highest rated coffee shop on Yelp, Finch’s Tea and Coffee House. This coffee house also happens to be ranked first on Huffington Post’s list of best coffee in Vancouver. It’s bistro-style café that prides itself on serving fair trade and organic coffee. Carolyn Snow, manager of the downtown location, told Her Campus UBC that the Americano and chai latte from Granville Island are amongst the most popular drinks.

Finch’s Tea and Coffee House

Downtown’s Main Street is brimming with great specialty cafes like 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters, a café highly favored amongst Vancouverites. The company prides itself in producing beans from farmers they have direct communication with. As well as delicious coffee, this café is known famous for harboring the best donuts in town. Kafka’s Coffee & Tea, also found on Main Street, is a small café that only serves coffee from Herkimer, a boutique roaster based in Seattle.

Kafka’s Coffee & Tea

Journeying into Gastown will also reveal some memorable cafés, with Revolver Coffee at the forefront of the all-time favorites. The décor is New York City inspired and the coffee comes from roasters in North American that exclusively roast for Revolver.

Revolver Coffee

A discussion of coffee in Vancouver would be incomplete without an honorable mention of cafés that exude a slightly more corporate feel. These include Blenz Coffee and JJ Bean Coffee Roasters – both of which happen to be popular and prominent coffee franchises. They don’t have the fame that Starbucks and Tim Horton’s have, but they’re still rampant in the streets of Vancouver.

Not all of us are coffee enthusiasts, and even those of us who love the bitter bean suffer from serious jitters after consuming coffee. But whether you like your cup of joe to taste like dessert or you prefer a straight up black roast, there’s definitely something for everyone. Many of these cafés tend to source their beans directly from growers, as part of the third wave of coffee culture. So, what have you got to lose? Splurging on a pricey cup of coffee for a day may surprise you by reminding you how differently good coffee can taste.

Want more information about cafes in Vancouver? Visit this site for more details about where to find alternative coffee shops!