Her Campus Logo Her Campus Logo

The next Canadian federal election is on October 19, 2015. Only 39% of 18-24 year olds voted in the last federal election in comparison to 75% of 65-72 year olds. A commonly cited reason for younger people not to vote is that they don’t know how. If that’s you, then you’ve found the right place!

Am I eligible?

In order to vote in the federal election you have to 1) be a Canadian citizen, 2) be at least 18 years old on election day, and 3) be able prove your identity and address.

How do I prove my identity and address?

You can show one piece of ID that has both your name and address. These would include your driver’s license or provincial/territorial ID card.

If you do not have either of these, or if the address on your driver’s license does not match the address in the riding where you currently live and want to vote in (out of town students, this is for you!), then you can bring two pieces of ID, at least one which has your current address. Some examples of what these pieces can be:

Canadian passport

Birth certificate

Citizenship card

Indian status card

Métis card

Card issued by local Inuit authority

Label on a prescription container

Blood donor card

Credit or debit card

Library card

Utility bill

Credit card statement

Residential lease or sub lease

Find the complete list here.

But I live in rez, how can I prove my address?

Contact your Residence Life Manager. A signed letter of confirmation from them will count as proof of your address.

What if I absolutely cannot find proof of my address?

Show two pieces of ID and bring with you someone who knows you and who has proof of their own address and identity (they have to be registered in the same riding as you). You will then be able to swear an oath to attest to your address in your witness’ presence.

Did you say register?

Yes! The first step to take in registering is determining the riding you will vote in. If you live on campus you can vote in the Vancouver Quadra riding. If you have another address somewhere in Canada you are also eligible to vote in that riding, and can decide which riding you will vote in.

Once you’ve figured out which riding you will be voting in you can choose to register, or update your registration information either online, by calling the local Elections Canada office and requesting a registration form which you can then mail back, by visiting the local office in person, or by registering on voting day ay the polling station. It is recommended that you register in advance, as this will make the process at the poll much easier.

For Vancouver Quadra, the local Elections Canada office is located at 4255 Arbutus Street, Suite 260, which is a 35 minute bus ride from campus on the 25.

If you have received a voter information card, then you are registered to vote.

So where do I vote?

If you’re voting in Vancouver Quadra, you can vote in the SUB Ballroom from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm on October 19th.

What if I’m not available on the 19th?

Vote in advance! Advance voting days are October 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th. The location for polls on these dates will be on your voter information card.

I have more questions!

Visit http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx if you need more clarification, or visit or call your local Elections Canada office to speak to someone in person.

Your voice matters! Remember to vote!

Jacqueline Marchioni is a fifth year Honours English major and a Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice minor.
Similar Reads👯‍♀️