How to Relax and De-Stress During Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

So we all know exams are a stressful time. As students we’re all probably fairly aware that stress can take an ugly toll on our mental and physical health. Here are some ways to take care of yourself and ensure you are in the best place you can be while we roll through exam season.   

1. Get enough sleep

Enough sleep is crucial. It can be so tempting to pull all-nighters to finish a paper or cram in some more study time, but I would suggest avoiding this at all costs. Your brain cannot retain information properly if you don’t give it some time to re-charge and process all the information you’ve given it over the course of the day. How much sleep is necessary can vary from person to person, so try to aim for whatever amount makes you feel well rested.

2. Exercise

It may seem like a waste of time to exercise when you could be studying, but your studying will actually be more productive if you take half an hour or so to get yourself moving. Exercise is also a great de-stressor. Trust me, it is not a waste of time. Also, the UBC Yoga Club has a free yoga class everyday during exam period, so check them out! (http://ubcyogaclub.com/schedule/)

3. Eat and drink properly

Your mind isn’t going to be able to function properly is you don’t take the time to eat enough and keep yourself well hydrated. Additionally, I fid it’s best to avoid caffeine as it makes me really jumpy and jittery and I feel more like running up and down Koerner’s staircase than sitting down and hitting the books. However, if you’re already addicted, now is probably not the best time to quit, as that will put your body under additional stress.

4. Meditation

Meditation is a great way to relax and de-stress. If you need some help, find a guided meditation track online that you can listen to. Alternatively, just find a quiet place, get into a comfortable position, and try and let go of all the worry and stress you’ve got. Try not to fall asleep, though (see number 1.

5. Talk to someone

If you feel really overwhelmed, it can never hurt to chat with someone about it. Speakeasy (http://www.ams.ubc.ca/services/speakeasy/) is located in the SUB and offers peer support. UBC Counselling Services is located in Brock Hall and offers consultation with qualified counselors. 

Jacqueline Marchioni is a fifth year Honours English major and a Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice minor.