Comparing IUDs: Which One’s For You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Image retrieved from Island Sexual Health.

As explained in this article, IUDs are an effective form of birth control.

I had the chance to talk to a nurse in-depth about birth control, and after finding out about the various forms of birth control for women, I decided to get an intrauterine device (IUD). So, what are they? There are two types: the copper IUD, and the progestin IUD.

Copper Intrauterine Device (IUD)
What: A small, “T-shaped” device that is inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. There are no hormones in a copper IUD, so women still get their regular periods.
Where: You need to get a prescription from a healthcare provider to purchase it at the drug store.
Cost: They are approximately $65.
Useage: You need to go to a health care provider who is trained to insert these. Getting an IUD inserted can be a little bit painful. The pain is very short. It’s because we insert the device into your cervix and then into your uterus. The initial insertion may last up to a minute or two, then you get some cramping for maybe 24 hours. Usually that all goes away.
Effectiveness: They are 98% effective so long as they are inserted up to 7 days after unprotected sex. The benefit of is you can actually keep it in for up to 5-7 years, as regular contraception, and it remains 98% effective.
How: Copper IUDs change the acid level within the uterus to make it unfriendly for fertilization.
Side Effects: One of the most common side effects of a copper IUD is women may get heavier periods and more cramping during their period. So for women who already have those problems, a copper IUD is not the best option, but they can still use it for emergency contraception and then they can always remove it after a period.
Return to Fertility: It takes about a month. You go to a healthcare provider to remove it. Then we wait for your period to naturally come, and you’re ready.

Progestin Intrauterine Devices (IUD)
What: These are two IUDs that have a little bit of progestin hormone in them. The other types of IUDs that are available in Canada are called Mirena and Jaydess.
Cost: The Mirena is about $360 and lasts for 5 years. The Jaydess is about $250 and lasts for 3 years. They’re covered by most drug plans, so if you have an extended plan, First Nations Health, or some kind of care coverage, they’re covered.
Useage: You need to go to a health care provider who is trained to insert these.
Effectiveness: These are the most effective birth controls you can get. They’re about 99.8% effective. You really don’t get more effective birth control that’s also reversible (meaning that you can still become pregnant after you remove it). These IUDs can also be used to treat women who have really heavy periods, or really bad cramps during their periods, because they thin the lining on the uterus. Some women who are going through menopause also use IUDs because of their heavy bleeding or irregular bleeding.
How: They work by thinning the lining of the uterus to make it basically unfriendly to anything in it. They also may limit ovulation, so your egg isn’t released as often. The number one way they work is they increase the mucus that’s in your cervix, so the sperm is not able to swim through that mucus.
Side Effects: Getting an IUD inserted can be a little bit painful. The pain is very short. It’s because we insert the device into your cervix and then into your uterus. The initial insertion may last up to a minute or two. Then you get some cramping for maybe 24 hours. But usually that all goes away.

As for me, I decided to use the progestin Jaydess IUD for two main reasons: 1) It’s a smoother process to insert; 2) The potential side effects aren’t as severe. As a UBC student, I was covered for 80% of the cost, so I only had to pay $66. This is a worthwhile investment, as it lasts 3 years! Below, I’ve compared the Jaydess IUD to the pill, which is the most popular form of female birth control:

Average Birth Control Pill (with student insurance)
Monthly Cost: $12.00
3 Years Total Cost: $432.00

Progestin IUD (with student insurance)
Monthly Cost: $1.88
3 Years Total Cost: $66.00

As you can see, even though the initial cost is expensive, it’s definitely a long-term investment.

For those of you considering IUDs, I would highly recommend it. Although the insertion is quite painful, it brings peace of mind for years. No more monthly trips to the pharmacy, no more alarms for pill intakes, and no more panic sessions over late periods!

Selenna Ho is passionate about writing and is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team. Her experiences include working as Editor in Chief of Sojourners, a Journalist for Surrey Women's Centre, and as an Editorial Assistant for PRISM Magazine. Selenna has had original research published in the Journal of Undergraduate Ethnography. She has also had short stories and poetry published by the Young Writers of Canada and The World Poetry Movement, where she won a gold medal for her poetry. When not in school, Selenna enjoys travelling around the world, or relaxing with her family and friends.