Ask an Alumni: Safia Abji ’07

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Safia Abji is currently the Marketing Manager for Cityfone at Rogers Communications. She’s previously worked at Deloitte and KPMG, and graduated from Sauder in 2007.

1. What was the job hunting process like for you after graduation? What do you have to say to those approaching graduation soon with no promising prospects?

I graduated with my BCom from the Sauder School of Business in 2007, with a focus in Marketing and a Minor in English.  Reflecting back, I realize that education prepared me with the tools required to approach my career, but not always with the soft skills that would differentiate me from my peers, who were all learning the same tools I was. 

Be Different

Almost seven years into my career, I am still providing the same advice to any student or mentee that is searching for the ‘secret sauce’: BE DIFFERENT.  When you graduate, you may feel like the world is your oyster, and it is, but it’s up to you to do the work required to find your pearl.  No one is going to hand you that six-figure salary or dream job, so do what you need to stand out, and on this pursuit, recognize that what you want out of your career may be more than simply names on a resume and a pay cheque.  That satisfaction only goes so far.  Remember that people will hire you because of the value you bring that is different compared to the hundreds of applicants with the same credentials as you, so demonstrate what that is when you’re searching for your first job.  What makes you different, and therefore valuable?

Network

When I graduated, I spent six months talking to everyone and anyone who would listen.  I called the reception desk at companies I was interested in learning more about, hoping to reach someone that would spare five minutes to tell me more about their own journey to landing what felt like my ‘dream job’ at the time.  I studied companies and careers, and reached out to complete strangers over LinkedIn who seemed to align with my values and what I could see myself doing someday.  People want to be seen and heard, so ask about and listen to their story – there are gems in there, I assure you.  In our busy world, people also won’t give you their time or interest, unless your intentions are genuine.  That means being honest about what you’re looking for, but with the willingness to listen and learn.  One of the biggest lessons coming out of university was realizing that I don’t know everything.  Networking will open new doors to opportunities and ideas you won’t learn about on Workopolis, however only if you approach these relationships without the intention of getting something in return. Treat every relationship with the same value that you would appreciate if someone were asking for your time, because one day you will be approached by new grads searching for the same guidance.

Don’t Settle

After six months of searching and no luck, I almost gave up and gave in to potential jobs that didn’t feel right.  Listen to your gut, it almost always knows best.  When you graduate, what you do next will shape the journey ahead – it’s comparable to determining which Faculty you choose for your first year of university.  I can’t tell you how many times I have watched people turn around a decade into their career, only to finally admit that it isn’t what they want to do.  This may still happen to you, even if you think you’re making the right decisions today, because you are always evolving, but, make the best decision that feels right today.  There is no shame in getting paid hourly at a job you don’t plan to keep, so that you can pay your bills after university, as long as when you go home each night you are focused on getting what you want.  On this pursuit, you may learn that it will take more education or even working as an unpaid intern to get there, but do what you have to do so that you don’t settle – you are worth more than settling, so help people see that.  Remember, talking the talk may get you to interview number three, but walking the walk will take you to the front of the line and win you the title.

2. Did you always envision yourself in the field you are today? What career changes will we experience post-graduation?

I’m still learning what I want to be when I grow up, but diversifying my portfolio of experiences is getting me closer.

Know Yourself

I always knew what I was naturally interested in growing up.  I was creative and compassionate.  I loved writing and philanthropy.  I was always interested in connecting with people, learning from them and pursuing activities that might help them.  I also knew there was a businesswoman inside of me.  I was always a natural entrepreneur, which is why my hobbies often became more than just my hobbies.  I was full of ideas and dreams, but I wasn’t always very good at implementing them.  I also never thought my passions could translate into my daily purpose, and I’m now learning that I was wrong about that.  Out-of-the-box thinking was a new and idealistic concept when I was growing up. 

Picking Your Major

To satisfy the majority of who I was, I decided to pursue a Commerce degree.  I knew it would prepare me with skills that I could transfer into various jobs, industries and maybe even my own venture someday.  After all, doesn’t almost everyone need to think about accounting and marketing at some point?  I knew a Commerce degree would also connect me with like-minded people.  When I was at that tough stage of picking the concentration for my Major, I remember feeling overwhelmed.  As if it would define who I am and my future.  I remember picking Marketing, simply because it was the area most related to my personal values and interests.  But, it scared me to think that something that was just ‘close’ to my passions, would now define my career and consequently, me. 

Your Major Does Not Define You

It will narrow down the search for your first job, and probably your next 2-3 jobs, but your career is simply a continuation of your education.  If you want lasting happiness in your career, diversify your portfolio of experiences.  If you’re not practicing everything your passionate about in your first job, then volunteer, start your own community project, mentor and in summary, expose yourself to experiences and people that will help you grow.  Work for a global organization and work for a startup, experiment with new industries, challenge yourself.  The experience will be valuable not only to your resume, but with helping you get closer to figuring out what you want your career to look like.  It will help define your hierarchy of needs when it comes to your career, and get you closer to fulfilling those needs.  It also makes life less routine and more fun, and fun is good.

3. What was the standout experience for you during your time at UBC that you think helped prepare you for what you’re doing today?

Being Involved on Campus

When I was in my third year of Commerce, I became the President of the UBC Chapter for Advancing Canadian Entrepreneurship (ACE UBC).  As I mentioned, I always had a natural interest in entrepreneurship, and I was lucky to be a part of the Sauder class that emphasized more focus on this area of business.

Materializing My Vision

When I took over ACE UBC, we were still defining our purpose as an organization on campus.  I had a vision, and I used whatever I learned about successful startups and community organizations to restructure our team, and determine our mission.  That year, we developed programs to educate all members of our campus and Vancouver community.  We introduced high school students to business and career planning skills, and had them compete in their first business plan competition. We educated new immigrants and those living in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside about business fundamentals, to make their transition easier and more possible.  And, we built a microfinance and mentoring program to sustain such programming.  That year, for the first time in our Chapter’s history, we won the national HSBC Financial Literacy Award and were recognized as one of the top ACE programs making a positive economic contribution in our community. 

How It Helped

That experience lingers today, because I still feel its lasting impacts and recognize that real life doesn’t always work this way.  University provides endless opportunities for you to walk in, challenge your thinking and observe your impact.  If you have an idea, you can make it happen.  University is your opportunity to experiment with who you are and what you’re capable of, and if you take advantage, it will not only differentiate you but prepare you for the real world, where no one knows your name yet.  The more you try new things, the more you will have to offer.  Those skills will give your abilities meaning.  Those skills come from the opportunities that university offers, and not from what you learn in the classroom.  While the opportunities are available to you, take advantage, because they might end up meaning more to you and your future, than simply fulfilling the requirements of your degree.

4. Are they any ‘must-do’ activities/experiences that every undergraduate should check off their list before graduating?

There are numerous UBC-specific ‘must-do’ activities that I think any grad should consider before they graduate (even streaking through final exams feels somewhat necessary today).  However, for the full university experience, I recommend a few definite ‘musts’:

Live on Campus

That’s what makes university unique, so experience it.  You will meet people and learn things that you wouldn’t have otherwise, and that will only further prepare you for the world waiting after university.  It will also make for some great memories and relationships, which can be difficult to accomplish on a large campus like UBC. 

Join Clubs and Organizations

Don’t do it just as a resume builder, but to experiment with who you are and what you’re capable of.  You may quickly realize that what you thought you would enjoy isn’t enjoyable at all, but you won’t know until you immerse yourself in the experience of it.

Just Be a STUDENT

And lastly, I don’t care what anyone says, but eat the cafeteria food, do the all-nighter study sessions on campus, and have a few of those campus bar experiences you regret the next morning.  Your university experience will be richer, and your memories more memorable, for it.

5. How different would your experience have been had you not pursued anything outside the classroom?

Based on some of the experiences I’ve mentioned, I believe I wouldn’t have the friendships, memories, insights or opportunities I have today, had it not been for challenging myself outside of the classroom. 

As you get older, your time will be less available and therefore, the circle of who you choose to spend that time with will filter to align with the things you value.  Being involved in extracurricular activities at UBC provided me with an opportunity to experiment with what I was interested in, and determine who else at school was interested in the same things.  Those people are still my friends today, and now I know why.

[pagebreak]

6. If you had to do your undergrad all over again, what would you do differently?

Cramming vs. Understanding

Academically, I would have spent less time memorizing and more time trying to understand what I was learning.  Time moves fast and furiously at university, and your focus becomes more about the grade on a paper or exam.  Today, I forget a lot of what I learned because I either don’t use it, or never took the time to understand it.  Knowledge is power, so try to understand more than you memorize.  Also, take courses that interest you as your electives – they could be what you end up doing in the long run.

Challenge Your Comfort Zone

Personally, and this is for all my university ladies and gents, I would have spent less time focusing on romance.  Or, I would have chosen to be in relationships that provided the freedom to still experience university life.  It’s easy to get lonely on campus, and to attach yourself to someone, but don’t do it.  I missed out on many girls’ nights, campus events, conversations and overall university-specific moments because I found comfort with someone I already knew. 

Challenge your comfort zone, because you’re missing out on a whole world of experience, connections and memories that you won’t get back.  This advice may not be applicable to everyone, but realize how precious and pinnacle these four years of your life will be in the long run.  There is a reason you moved cities or even countries and left everyone you love behind, to attend and experience this school, so do it.  Get rid of the obstacles that prevent you from fully engaging in it, and then thank me later.  Believe it or not, life doesn’t end after high school, and it definitely won’t end after university.

7. What would you look out for if you were in a position to hire new graduates for your institution?

a) The obvious – do they have the tools (academic background, skills and experience) to be successful in the role?

b) How did they maximize opportunities they had access to growing up and during school, to challenge themselves, learn and grow?

c) There’s a difference between confidence, and ego.

d) What efforts have they made to differentiate themselves from a candidate with the same credentials?

e) How genuine and authentic do they appear, and can I trust them?

f) How do they react to change?

g) Do they ‘fit’ – are our values aligned?

8. Does your work become more interesting as you stay longer, or are you constantly in pursuit of new career paths?

I’m going to give my advice here, because satisfaction in your career depends on numerous factors, and specifically on you.

Your career is going to play a major part of your daily life after you graduate, just like school does.  Like life, your career is only as interesting as you choose to make it.  So, when you’re in it, if you recognize that you’re more complacent than you would like to be, or aren’t feeling fulfilled in certain areas, pay attention.  This doesn’t mean hop from one job to another, but ask the important questions.  What needs does your current job satisfy, and is it enough to stay?  If it is, then how else can you fulfill your other needs through your community involvement or hobbies, and how do you need to change your perspective to get interested again? 

If it isn’t, spend time learning from people who work in an industry, company or role you’re interested in.  Do your research.  Just like buying a new pair of jeans, if you ask enough questions you will find the best fit.  Your needs may never be fully met, but how can you maximize the value of your next role?  Don’t believe that jumping ship is always the answer either; in fact, it is almost always a detriment.  Sometimes the answers are already within your organization or current role; so don’t be afraid to approach your manager about your needs.  A good manager will not want to lose a good employee, and will appreciate your honesty and be honest in return.  Learn the difference between your attitude and reality.

Your future really is your choice, so be honest, objective and thoughtful about your approach to your career, and let that be your guide.

9. What are some of the assumptions you had about being in the ‘real world’ that were dashed upon being a part of it?

That nothing in life is ever as simple as following a tried and tested path. 

Whether you are becoming a doctor or an accountant, there are steps to follow to get there, but in the end only a few ever seem satisfied with the journey.  Every journey is individual, just like you, so while you have the opportunity to experiment (before the mortgage, the marriage, the kids and the multiple new responsibilities waiting for you as you transition into adulthood), do it.  Your gut already knows what the next turn on your road looks like, so follow it and see where it takes you.  Trust me when I say that the stories and discoveries will be more memorable, satisfying and resonate more closely with who you are, when the plan isn’t already defined for you. 

It’s true when they say ‘the journey is the best part’, even if it takes you into a few dark caves along the way. One single piece of advice I can give if you do follow your intuition? Don’t think too much about it.  Remember why you made certain decisions, and stay present so you maximize the value of every experience along the way (just don’t be stupid about it!).

10. Lastly, what are your top pieces of advice that every graduating student should know?

There are a few lessons that I find equally important, but they work together beautifully:

Be authentic – it will serve you well in the long run.  It will build trust, differentiate you and move you closer to the people and things you really want.

Listen without the intent to react – you will hear more, learn more and be wiser for it.

Don’t treat people as a means to an end – everyone wants to be seen and heard, just like you, so give them that respect and the rest will follow.

Gratitude, gratitude, gratitude – no one has to do the things they do for you, so appreciate them. You could also be worse off than you think you are now, so be grateful. Big or small, focus on what you do have, not what you don’t, and say ‘thank you’.

Life really is what happens when you’re busy making other plans – so, if you’re slightly OCD like I am, find a way to get over it so that you can enjoy the ride and let life take you where it’s meant to.  It’s going to take you there eventually anyways, so why slow down the process with all your planning?

Never stop doing what you love – your career doesn’t define you, and you are a person outside of your career, so don’t forget the things you love doing just because life is too busy.  One day, that could be your gift to the world.

Never stop learning – every book you read, person you meet, conference you attend or even show you watch is an opportunity to learn, so soak it all up and then squeeze it back out for others to learn from too.

Compassion always wins – we are all the same at the core.  We all have the same needs, wants and desires.  Remember this whenever you are talking to anyone, from a CEO to the man living on the sidewalk.  It will subdue your need to judge and react, and provide simplicity and clarity as a consequence.

Education is a privilege – education isn’t just about making a living, but about using it to steer the world in a direction that will make all of us better off.  So, use your education to educate others, and make an impact that would not be possible if it weren’t for you.

In the words of Dr. Seuss…

Zafira is a fourth-year English Literature Major at the University of British Columbia and is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UBC. She grew up in sunny Kenya and now lives amongst the beaches and mountains that is beautiful British Columbia. She is thrilled to introduce Her Campus at UBC and build towards its strength in Canada! When she's not reading a book, she is usually wrestling with her hair and her umbrella under the constant torrents of rain in Vancouver, or can be seen with a yoga mat tucked under her arm, as Vancouverites do.