The 8 Best Places to Study in Vancouver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Did you know that studying in different venues promotes information retention? Without doubt, location is an important part of a good studying experience. While studying at home works for some us, for others it’s tough resisting the urge to browse the net, chat with your roomies, or Google things you would only Google at home! If one these vices do you in, it’s time to venture beyond your little nest. 

To help those looking for ideal studying spots, we’ve crisscrossed all over Vancouver to determine what cafes, libraries and lounges fuel the most productivity. Finding a spot that works the best for you might involve testing the waters for a while, but we’ve listed out a bunch of options for you to explore!

Note: Irving was purposely excluded from the list. We all know that absolutely no work gets done at the social spot that is Irving. Unless you lock yourself into the bookstacks…

The Allard Hall Building 

Also known as the Law library, this spacious and breezy building is the closest thing to an ideal study spot. You have the option of either opting for the silent study library on the second floor, or the comfy chairs and round tables near the Law café. The sight of studious law students will serve as some kind of motivation – and the mountains serving as the perfect distraction to get lost in your thoughts when you can’t bear to read one more word. Even though it’s basically restricted for law students, who knows? You might just get away with it (some of us definitely have…) or at the very least, get a few death glares from law students who see the obvious undergrad poring over calculus. It’ll be worth it though! It tends to to get a little chilly, so remember to bring a sweater.

Calhoun’s Bakery – 3035 West Broadway

Lots of comfort food, plenty of sunshine (on the rare sunny days) and the perfect level of background noise, Calhoun’s almost feels like home. Perk: The night owls will love this cafe as it stays open 24 hours a day. Pitfall: The only downfall is that you have to make a purchase every three hours to sustain that wi-fi connection. It also has a great Christmas-y vibe to it! Join the rows of Macbooks and UBC students that dominate the cozy spot and you won’t be sorry.

The Basement of Koerner Library

Behold: the quietest place on campus. It’s perfect for finishing up an overwhelming paper and cramming for an upcoming exam. You can sit here uninterrupted for hours on end. If you like complete silence, Koerner is the best study location for those looking for an environment where they can focus on what needs to be done. So if you have a complex project or dreadful final to tackle, this is the best place to avoid distractions.

Waves Café – 1198 West Pender Street

This is a great hideout if you want to avoid bumping into people you know! (Yay, you mean we can look crappy and study too?!) Not too many people will be willing to make the journey, but if you do manage to hop on the 14 and trek all the way downtown, you’ll find that it’ll be really rewarding. When you’re bored and need a much deserved break, there are tones of shops to distract you. Sometimes a break is necessary! 

Starbucks – West 10th Avenue and Tolmie

For anyone who doesn’t mind the mellow noise of coffee shops, Starbucks is actually a great place to study – and this one’s only 5 minutes away from campus. It’s also a lot bigger than the ones on campus, with plenty of chairs and couches set up so you won’t have to waste time waiting for a seat. With the endless amounts of coffee to reboot your brain coupled with the free wifi, you can linger here for hours and hours. You’ll also get to eavesdrop on some really interesting job interviews and blind dates! 

The Atrium of the Forestry Building

A lovely, spacious area and a perfect escape from being cooped up in your room. You’ll find that the atrium is  a great place to escape the everyday hustle and bustle of UBC life. It’s a perfect setup to focus and go through textbooks and revision material. With natural light pouring in (even though the hours where that’s available are shortening drastically…), you’ll be motivated to keep going. Perk: There’s also a Tim Horton’s right below the atrium, grab some coffee during your studying break to power though the long, studious hours. Pitfall: The building is locked after 6pm and only accessible to Forestry students. Best to get started early!

Blenz Coffee – 999 Granville Street

Another café on our list! We highly recommend this cozy place where you can re-caffeinate whenever you find yourself dozing off. With the comfy couches, free internet access and an extensive list of coffee beverages, you’ll find that Blenz is a good spot to study. It tends to draw in a bit of a crowd during the peak hours of breakfast, but the atmosphere definitely makes studying for finals a little more bearable. 

Marine Drive Commonsblock

The MD commonsblock has it all, from silent study areas, to group study rooms, comfy couches and high-top tables. You have the option of shifting around from one to another depending on how your studying experience turns out. It tends to get a little noisy in the group study areas, but if you opt for the silent study areas, distracting chit-chat won’t be a proble. Bring your exercise gear along and hit the gym there when you’re done to reward yourself!

The Her Campus UBC team wishes you the best of luck with finals!