Treat Menstrual Cramps with Facts, Not Fiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

It seems like everyone’s mom has a different old wives’ tale for getting rid of period cramps, but which methods really work and which ones waste your time? Knowing the science behind menstruatal cramps and its common soultions will help you take control of your period like a champ. 

Pick the Right Pills

During menstruation, the uterus produces prostaglandin, a type of compound that acts like a hormone and triggers contractions that shed the lining of the uterus. These contractions cause your cramps, so look for pills that have anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that inhibit prostaglandin like zinc, aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac or naproxen. Midol, Advil, Aleve and even zinc supplements taken for three or four days before your period starts will do the trick- Tylenol will not.

Crank Up the Heat

Cramps are also caused by constricted blood vessels in the myometrium, the middle layer in the wall of the uterus. Studies suggest that one of the best ways to relax these vessels and inprove blood flow to the uterus is through heat. You can grab a heating pad or hot water bottle and even a hot drink, but try not to consume too much caffeine since it constricts blood vessels even more. A hot bath works wonders as well, just have a tampon ready or don’t move your legs around too much!

Get Moving

Exercising sounds like the last thing you’d want to do on your period, and your grandma might even discourage it, but we now know that getting your heart pumping is one of the best rememdies for menstrual cramps. Exercise releases beta-endorphins which act as a natural pain reliever and, of course, burn off prostaglandin. Since the release of endorphins is triggered by an elevated heart rate, try aerobic (cardio) exercise like running, cycling, swimming or kickboxing for the best results.

Acupressure is a Thing

And it doesn’t involve needles! Acupuncture’s less initimidating friend is an ancient Asian method of relieving pain by pressing on certain points of the body and improving “energy flow.” Recent studies suggest that it can actually increase blood flow and release endorphins, so there’s plenty of acupressure points designated for relieving menstrual cramps. Many of them have fun names like the Sea of Energy, which you can locate by measuring two finger widths below your bellybutton and pressing down with your thumb using medium pressure for one to threee minutes. Different point might work better for different people, so research and experiment to find a few you like. 

Want Something More Exciting?

If you’re willing, you might want to try an orgasm! Having an orgasm causes the uterus to contract more that it typically does during menstruation, so more prostaglandin will be produced at one time and much less will be produced afterward. Some women even find that their periods end sooner after an orgasm because the extra contractions shed the lining of the uterus more quickly. So get help from a partner or go solo- you decide!

HCUAB