Quick Facts on Religion: Islam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

I interviewed these lovely ladies and leaned a lot of things! Islam is a type religion like Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and many more. They have different practies, but in the end the prayers are about the same things: health, hope, and happiness. 

Thank you to the following participants:

• Nada Abdelqader – Junior, Education
  • Dania Mallah – Sophomore, Biomedical Engineering
  • Amnah Aldashjallah – Freshman, Mechanical Engineering;
  • Zeenat Islam – Sophomore, Health Care Management
  • Ruaa Aisha- Freshman Biomedical Sciences 

Praying                 

Muslim men and women pray five times a day because they want to constantly remember God.

The five set times of day:

Salat al-fajr: dawn, before sunrise

Salat al-zuhr: midday, after the sun passes its highest

Salat al-‘asr: the late part of the afternoon

Salat al-maghrib: just after sunset

Salat al-‘isha: between sunset and midnight

Before each prayer time, they do abdol which is washing your hands, nose, face, arms, ears, and feet with water three times to make sure you look nice for God.

Hijab

Some women wear the hijab because they believe that God has instructed women to wear it as a means of fulfilling His commandment for modesty. For these women, wearing hijab is a personal choice that is made after puberty and is intended to reflect one’s personal devotion to God.  Some Muslim women believe that although the principles of modesty are clearly outlined in the Qu’ran, they perceive the wearing of the headscarf as a cultural interpretation of these scriptures. These women sometimes believe that the values espoused by the wearing of the headscarf can be achieved in other ways.

I hope you learned a few facts about Islam!

Cite: http://arabsinamerica.unc.edu/identity/veiling/hijab/