Pro-Black Does Not Equate to Anti-White

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Leave it to Beyoncé to get people talking. After the Superbowl, conversations revolving her turned political. The timely homage to the Black Panthers brought about supporters and critics alike. Unfortunately, like all other pro-black platforms, attention is turned towards other races rather than focusing on the root purposes of the organizations. The Black Panthers, BET, the #BlackLivesMatter movement, and now Beyoncé’s performance have all been subject to role reversal theories. During February 8’s “Black Lives Matter Lecture,” hosted by UAB’s Black Student Awareness Committee and BMEN, Opal Tometi, one of the founders of the #BlackLivesMatter movement, noted that asserting that black lives matter is accepted as an assault to every other community. Unfortunately, this is a very accurate interpretation.

Those who believe that pro-black movements are anti-other, and particularly anti-white, sentiments are completely misconstruing the entire concept of these organizations. The basis of pro-black institutions is to empower and equalize people of color to those who have been historically favored. With both the #BlackLivesMatter movement and Beyoncé’s political statements, opposition greatly stems from individuals who claim that these platforms are promoting the message “that black lives matter more,” as The Blaze’s Tomi Lahren phrases. In this same segment of “Final Thoughts with Tomi Lahren,” she continues to tragically phrase her disagreement by addressing Beyoncé, “What are you trying to convey here? A salute to what? A group that used violence and intimidation to advance not racial equality, but the overthrow of white domination.”

The purpose of the Black Panthers, originally called the Black Panthers for Self-Defense, was to bring about social awareness, change, and equality, despite naysayers’ agendas. To liken this organization with hate groups such as the KKK is as disgraceful as it is riduculous. The Black Panthers is one of the most notable organizations formed in recognition of African Americans and their struggle. Following Beyoncé’s Superbowl performance and the release of her “Formation” music video, there was much backlash towards both Beyoncé and the party. Arguments range from Beyoncé attacking law enforcement, race baiting, and using the Superbowl as a political platform.

Should terrorists not be held accountable for their actions? Should one not use his or her platform to bring awareness to injustices? During February 8’s lecture, Tometi addressed both points flawlessly. Law enforcement consists of both the good and the bad, though Tometi rightfully notes that there is an epidemic of police brutality. There are far too many murders (at the hands of law enforcement) of unarmed black citizens occurring every day. There are far too many black Americans unemployed and incarcerated. There are far too many statistics set up against the African American population. Tometi stated, “You’re either with [the cause] or you’re not,” but you have no choice to be neutral, “silence literally leads to our death.” Beyoncé realizes the detrimental nature of being neutral, her global impact, and her opportunities, and she used her platform in masterminding one of the most publicized political statements of our time.

Lahren sarcastically stated in her “Final Thoughts,” “…congratulations, Beyoncé, you made your statement. You should be proud of yourself…She did it to get attention. Good for you! You made headlines.” Though unintentional and unknowingly to Lahren, she was absolutely right. Beyoncé did make headlines and she did bring added awareness to countless pro-black platforms. Beyoncé accomplished exactly what she had intended to; she deserves congratulations, albeit genuine ones.

Continuing her rant, Lahren spews, “You’re just like President Obama, Jada Pi[n]kett Smith, Al Sharpton, and so many other just can’t let America heal. Keep ripping off the historical Band-Aid. Why be a cultural leader when you can play the victim, right? Guess what Beyoncé, white people like your music too… little white girls want to be just like you just as little black girls do. But instead of recognizing that, you’d rather perpetuate the great battle of the races.”

To any and all people who possess this mindset, I would like to enlighten you by mentioning that the issues being presented by pro-black organizations and individuals are not issues of yesteryear. There are very real instances of injustices that correlate with none other than race and financial standing, e.g. Hurricane Katrina and Flint’s water crisis. African Americans have been victims of this land since being kidnapped and forced into slavery. However, making ceaseless efforts to rise from this systematic trauma and oppression brings about unwavering uproars. 

Pro-black platforms are not created to entice racial division. Sorry, Tomi. Then why was a #BlackLivesMatter movement created instead of an #AllLivesMatter one? Tometi, herself, acknowledged that some lives are valued more, not all lives are being targeted as black ones are, and black lives must be fought for. Beyoncé’s intention was not to make all people feel included, but rather to make all people aware. My proposition for people like Tomi Lahren is to fuel your energy into making strives toward social equality and justice, alongside pro-black groups. Just as non-Mexican Americans rejoice in celebrating Cinco de Mayo, you too can join in on something that was not created “for” you. 

My name is Kristal and I am currently a senior at UAB. As a business major and hopeful journalist, I hope to use my gifts and knowledge to reach across the world. I have interests in all things related to society-- hisory, social justice issues, man-made societal "norms." In my spare time, I enjoy working out, watching documentaries, viewing fashion blogs and magazines, and dreaming of the possibilities of my future. Would I forget to mention the importance of "Clueless" references in my life? Ugh, as if!