Culture > News

Nike Just Did It and I’m Not Mad About It!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Colin Kaepernick is trending again.

The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback revealed on Monday that he is one of the new faces of Nike’s 30th-anniversary ad campaign. Kaepernick tweeted a photo from the campaign with the caption “Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything. #JustDoIt”  The campaign also features Serena Williams, Odell Beckham Jr., and Seattle Seahawks rookie Shaquem Griffin.

Nike’s decision to include Kaepernick in their “Just Do It” campaign has put them under fire, literally. Many people have taken to social media to call for a Nike Boycott, with some even going as far as setting their Nike gear on fire to prove a point!

Kaepernick has been at the center of the kneeling protest controversy since 2016 when he first decided to kneel during the national anthem as a part of his activism for racial injustices. Players across the league joined Kaepernick, causing an uproar among team owners, fans, and even politicians. Kaepernick eventually left the 49ers and has been shut out of all things NFL since then.

Nike choosing to back Kaepernick is a major move considering their involvement in the sports world, especially the NFL. Nike has an exclusive apparel deal with the NFL that runs for the next decade. In this case, Nike has the upper hand when it comes to making power moves.

While many have taken a stance opposing Nike’s decision, I can’t say I’m mad about it!

Nike has a history of bringing athletes to the face of their company at a time they are being put down by others and this year’s ad is just another example. Serena Williams has recently received criticism for wearing her custom-made catsuit during the French Open. The president of the French Tennis Federation stated that the catsuit “didn’t respect the game and the place” and it wouldn’t be worn by the tennis star again. This incident has since opened up a conversation about dress standards and female athlete scrutiny.

I am so excited to see a major corporation not only stepping up for deserving athletes but choosing to support a cause despite the threats to their business.

Nike released a video ad on Wednesday featuring the faces of the 30th-anniversary campaign and other athletes. The ad will play during the U.S. Open, college football, and Major League Baseball games.

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents.