How to Cure a Hangover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

So you went a little crazy last night, and now you’re nursing a wicked hangover. Instead of sitting in bed watching the room spin, have a friend (or if you’re good to drive) pick up a few things to nurse you back to health. Half of this stuff you’ll probably have in your place anyways!

1. Take a shower. Seriously, you probably reek like alcohol. Bonus points if you have a minty body wash. When I’m not feeling well, I put a few drops of mint essential oil on the bottom of the bathtub and let the hot water create a steam with the mint. It’s so refreshing, and it’s an instant pick-me-up.

2. Leave the raw eggs to Rocky, and drink orange juice. The vitamin C  and sugars in this will help you get back on your feet in no time. Avoid caffeine, because you’re most likely already dehydrated. Grab a Gatorade or juice instead. Also, here’s a fantastic Bloody Mary recipe that’s sure to knock your socks off.

3. Sleep is your best friend right now. It’s ok to lay in bed all day long, just don’t make it a habit every weekend.

4. Oh, and you are probably going to want to pop a couple of Tums or Alka seltzer. 

5. Also, Emergen-C packets work WONDERS. Pour some into a “shot” of water, and feel better instantly. I swear by them for everything from the common cold to an energy boost. 

6.Greasy food. This is not a time for a bran muffin or egg white omelette. Drive through Mickey D’s and gorge on the nastiest, greasiest thing you can find. Eating a heavy meal like this might be the last thing you want to do, but getting food in your stomach will definitely help!

7. In the future, try to alternate your drinks with water. That way you can still party, but you’re keeping hydrated so you don’t get the crappy after-effects. 

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.