This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Although we are all still day dreaming about Thanksgiving goods and alarm free mornings, it’s time to get back to the basics! The end of the semester is approaching which means preparing for finals is on our list of to-dos. As you get back in the groove of classes, here are a few of our tips on how to get ready for finals.

Find a study spot.

There are plenty of places to study on campus. Setting up camp in the library may be your first option, but it might not be the best. Try local coffee shops, the student center, or even outside if it’s not too cold. Sometimes the silence of a library can be too tense for me, so I tend to study in busier areas where there’s just enough activity, but not enough to distract me!

Make a to-do list.

Sometimes you will have a final exam in every class and other times some professors may decide not to have one. Make a list of all the exams you will be taking so that you can begin to get organized. From this list you can start compiling any notes you might need or study guides to make your study process a bit easier.

Don’t wait until the last minute.

I know— going over the information right before the test seems like it would be most helpful right? WRONG. Try to avoid cramming. Instead study in small intervals leading up to your exam dates. This will help you retain information and also reduce the anxiety levels of studying the night before an exam.

Avoid your phone.

Trust me, I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in social media and texts when you’re trying to study. When it’s time to start studying put your phone away. If you’re really paranoid about missing an important call or text, set a specific notification tone to that number so that you will know when it comes. When I’m really in the zone I usually keep my phone on silent and check it only when I’ve reached a point to take a break.

Manage your time.

If you’re someone like me who sometimes just can’t seem to get to work, I would suggest using the tomato timer or some variation of it. The tomato timer allots 25 minutes for studying and 5 minutes for a break. If the intervals seem to short you can manipulate it for your own liking. This especially helps me to get a kick start on essays!

Breathe.

Finals week can get pretty stressful, but do not let it take over you. When things get a little out of hand take a step back and breathe.

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents. 
HCUAB