alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

As the days grow shorter, and the weather gets colder, it’s hard not to get a little down. It’s seems as if your days consist of studying and work and you miss the carefree days of summer. Luckily winter is the season full of holiday spirit. In all the business of your daily life, make some time for these fun activities. They’ll be sure to brighten your mood and will make for great memories.

1. Drink hot cocoa: Nothing is better than cuddling up with a warm cup of hot cocoa, with the little mini marshmallows, in your favorite mug.

1. Go look at Christmas lights: There’s always something magical about Christmas lights. As they shine brightly, they seem to bring the whole neighborhood to life. Drive around with friends listening to Christmas music while you hunt for the house with the best decorations.   

1. Get outside: I know it’s cold, why would you want subject yourself to Wyoming weather? Yet I’m usually willing to go outside just for the amazing winter activities that are only a short drive away. You can go skiing, snowboarding, or sledding up in the Snowy Range Mountains. In town there’s even an ice skating rink, the perfect place for a holiday inspired date.

1. Catch snowflakes on your tongue: Honestly, when was the last time you went out and played in the snow? This season rediscover your little kid spirit!

1. Watch Christmas Movies: Invite your friends over, stay in your PJs all day, wear fuzzy slippers and break out the classic Christmas movies. My personal favorite is Elf, what better way to get in the holiday spirit?

1. Give back: During the holidays it’s important to remember this is the season of giving. Donate a gift, volunteer your time, or give to your favorite charity. Even the smallest actions can have an impact on your community.

1. Make Christmas cookies: Although we may not leave them out for Santa anymore, it’s still a holiday tradition. It’s okay if you eat half of the cookie dough before you even bake any of them. Just make sure you save some to give away to friends and family.

1. Attend an ugly Christmas sweater party: Is it even the holidays if you haven’t worn an ugly sweater? You can shop for a sweater online or at second hand stores, but it’s pretty impressive if you make your own. It’s a great way to showcase your creativity and holiday spirit. The more sparkles, the better.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Sara is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Enviromental and Natural Resources. She was born in Northern Kentucky but has lived in Laramie for 10 years now. She has a communications internship with the Wyoming EPSCoR program and writes for their blog. She also works as a lifegaurd and swim instructor at the local recreation center. To balance out her busy life Sara loves to read, do yoga, and plan her adventures abroad. She enjoys the small things that make life wonderful including rain, green grass, and coffee. One day she hopes to live in Seattle, write for an environmental publication, and travel the world to cover her stories.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.