Why I Will Never Stop Going to State Champs’ Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

This past Sunday, Dec. 4, was my fifth time seeing the badass pop-punk band State Champs within the last year and a half. I haven’t missed a show of theirs since May of 2015 and I don’t plan on missing any of their future shows. Here’s why:

I remember seeing them open for All Time Low on the Future Hearts Tour at the Fillmore in Denver on May 9, 2015. I knew they were an opening act but had never heard of them. Usually, when I see an opener, it takes at least two or three songs for me to decide if I like them or not. When State Champs came on, the first song had me hooked by the chorus.

Ever since, I’ve gone to every show in Denver they’ve been a part of, whether their set was 25 minutes or an hour. I even went to Warped Tour 2 months after my spinal fusion because I didn’t want to miss them play one of the biggest stages on the tour for the first time.

There are many reasons this band is one I’ll never stop seeing live and the first is obviously their music. They only have two full length albums out and a couple EP’s but this band never gets it wrong. Their songs are not only the pop-punk perfection I look for in a lot of bands, but their lyrics hold so much meaning for me because I found this band when a lot was changing in my life. I was a senior in high school going through a lot of life changes and dealing with a lot of personal things. I had just lost one of my closest family members 6 months before, I was losing a lot of friends and I was also trying to figure out my future as I was getting ready for a transition into college.

When I first heard State Champs, a line that stuck out to me was from their song Elevated that says, “find a way to stay in your skin.” I remember hearing that and just thinking about how powerful it was. I kept that line in mind as I finished high school and I was making all these changes. I reminded me to never lose sight of myself and that no matter what people think or say, I need to stay true to who I am.

As time went on and I quickly became a die-hard fan, their second album, Around the World and Back came out October 16, 2015 and the lyrics on this record had even more importance to me. Lines like “shape up and stand tall” or “you’re heaven-sent, not irrelevant” really helped me through a lot of tough times as my life continued to change.

I saw them just a couple weeks after Around the World and Back dropped, more specifically on October 27, which was only my second time seeing them. I got barricade for their set, as they were only an opener and since I knew their songs this time, the show was a dream. The band’s stage presence is amazing because you can just feel their love for music coming from each band member. They really enjoy what they do and it shows.

Derek moves all around the stage when he sings, so no spot in the venue is a bad one. Ryan, Ty, Evan and Tony are just playing their instruments with so passion and it’s contagious. The songs sound so much better live and the energy they bring to the crowd is insane. No show compares to theirs, honestly. People are dancing, crowd surfing and moshing while yelling their lyrics and just seeing others impacted so much by State Champs makes me so happy.

This concert was also my first time meeting Derek, the lead singer of the band. I remember being so nervous because I never thought I’d get to tell him how much his band’s music helps me on a daily basis. I walked up to him and he said hi and asked me my name. As he pulled me in for a hug and asked me how the show was I just told him it was everything I hoped for. I also got the chance to tell him how I felt.

I said, “I’m so glad I’m talking to you right now because ever since I first heard you guys on the Future Hearts Tour, I’ve wanted you to know how thankful I am for your band because your lyrics have helped me through so many daily struggles.”

He replied, “Wow, thank you! You let me make music that we both love and for that I’m so thankful for you! Thank you for coming and telling me.”

As I got my picture and said my goodbyes, I left that night with tears in my eyes because he made me feel important and gave me that connection with the band I will never forget. From that night on I told myself that I’d be at every show I could possibly go to.

(The first time I met Derek.)

If I fast forward to their next show (my third) in February with Neck Deep, I got to meet the entire band for the first time. I talked to Ryan the most, the bassist for the band and I told him how it was my third show and how much I love seeing them live. He told me that he was so happy he met me and that he loves hearing that about the band. Once again, I caught up with Derek and thanked him for another wonderful concert. The personal connections I had with them that night just made me love them even more.

(Me with Derek, Ryan and Ty after my third State Champs show.)

Then Warped came around in late July, just two months after my back surgery. I raced to the Twix tent to get a bracelet for their signing because I knew only 200 fans got it and they were one of the biggest ones there. I had gifts for Ryan and Derek because I talked to them the most and they’ve interacted with me the most on Twitter as well.

When I got to the booth, Ryan remembered me when I mentioned the last gift I mailed to him a few months before. The fact that he recognized me blew my mind, but it just goes to show how important the fans are to this band. When I got to Derek, he also remembered me when I mentioned some previous stories about meeting him. I left Warped that night feeling so thankful that I went. I only got a picture with Derek, but I didn’t care because I got to chat with all of them again. Since it was my fourth show, meeting them and having a conversation with them felt like talking to old friends and less like a fan talking to a band member.

(Derek and I at Warped after catching up for a little while.)

I just got to catch Ryan at my most recent show of theirs on Sunday, but I was so happy to see him again and just talk with him and catch up on how their tour has been. I missed Derek because I had to leave right after their set, but I know I’ll see him again, which isn’t something I ever imagined being able to do.

(Ryan and I a few days ago.)

Though I love their music and the presence they have at live shows, the personal connections they voluntarily make with fans after every show as they continue to grow as a band will never seize to amaze me. Though they aren’t this huge mainstream band selling out arenas (yet), they have quite the following and it’s growing with each show I go to. It’s crazy that so many people wait to meet them and the guys will stay for as long as fans want to talk with them. It’s even crazier that I can say that I feel like I almost have a friendship with them. How often can a fan say that about one of their favorite bands?

This characteristic about their band really makes them stand out. I will continue to go to their shows and try to keep my streak as long as I can. I will continue to wait outside after their shows just to talk to them and ask them how they’re doing because they’ve done so much for me. I will continue to watch them grow with a sense of pride and a huge smile on my face because they deserve success more than any other band. If they come across this article, I hope that they know how important they are to me and how they’ve changed my life as well as those of many others all over the world. Regardless of how far their band takes them, as long as their having gigs, you’ll find me in the crowd at one of the tour dates.

SaveSave

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.