What it’s like to be an Anti-Social Student During Homecoming Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, I love hanging out with friends and going out to eat or get coffee and socialize, but when it comes to huge, organized events involving a lot of school spirit, I’m the most introverted person there is. Here’s what it’s like for an Anti-School Spirited Student during Homecoming Week.

1. Hearing the words “Horseshoe Scavenger Hunt” and thinking “too much work”. An organized activity where you have to compete for prizes? Sounds like hell. I’m not competitive?! How am I supposed to handle this?!

2. “Spirit Relay”? What spirit? I own one UW shirt and it’s for Her Campus…

3. Finding out that “Homecoming Sing” is basically karaoke on steroids in front of the student body and cringing. Performing a song in front of a ton of people sounds like the biggest opportunity to embarrass myself more than I ever have before. Gotta blast.

1. Seeing that there will be a homecoming dance and thinking how you never even went to those in high school. I’m avoiding it like the plague.

2. When you notice there’s a “Yell Like Hell” competition and feeling haunted by high school memories of the constant cheers at forced pep rallies.

3. Going to the ASUW Pig Roast to eat food and bail before anyone you know spots you.

1. The Canned Food Jenga involves teamwork?  I can’t even handle more than 3 people at a time so I’m going to pass.

2. Finding out there’s a pep rally and getting scared when thinking about how many people will be in one place with more beer in their systems than school spirit.

3. The Homecoming Parade is at 9:30 AM and instead of going, deciding to sleep in and watch New Girl.

1. Avoiding the tailgate because EVERYONE will post pictures of how much fun it is to stand in a parking lot and socialize on Instagram.

2. Cheering on the football game buried under blankets piled so high it’s as if you don’t even exist in the first place.

3. Being asked if you did any activities for Homecoming Week and laughing nervously because HELL. NO.

1 2 3 4

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.