samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips to Make your College Life a Little Less Hectic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

We all know that college can be a giant mess of assignments, meetings, and events. Sometimes it is hard to keep track of everything that is happening with our crazy lives and we accidentally miss something important. That is why organization is such a crucial part of the college lifestyle. Here are a few things that I do to keep my hectic life as calm as possible.

1. Get a planner!

My planner is like another body part for me. It is always with me wherever I go and has saved my grades multiple times. I write everything in my planner: homework assignments, readings, sporting events, dinner dates, club meetings, and so much more. I am able to flip open my planner and see exactly what I have to accomplish for the week and when I have free-time to spend with my friends. It is seriously a life saver.

*Tip- use different colored pens to differentiate between classes, activities, and meetings. This makes it so much easier to see what you have to get done for what class and it adds some color to an otherwise bland notebook!

2. Use a wall/desk calendar

This might seem a little “over-the-top” when it comes to organization. I mean, you already have a planner with everything in it, right? Yes, but sometimes it is helpful to see the whole month laid out in front of you. I have all of my exams, assignments, and little sister’s swim meets posted on my calendar so I know I will never miss a beat. Having a calendar somewhere where you see it everyday is a constant reminder that you have stuff to do. I know that seeing mine every morning motivates me to cross off all of my tasks and get a head start on the weeks to come.

3. Create a schedule and stick to it!

College is a whirlwind of events and homework, so you have to find a happy medium between the two. Build blocks into your schedule that are specific to studying or hitting the gym. You can also add 30 minutes during the week where you just sit and watch a show on Netflix. Really, it is whatever works best for you. I know that I have one class on Wednesdays so I have built in a few hours for studying and a few hours at the gym. I also have one night a week that is totally free in case my roommates want a “girls night out”.

4. Pack your backpack the night before classes

This may seem insignificant to someone who wakes up at 6am everyday and has a full two hours to get ready before their 8am class, but not everyone is like that. I know I am not. I have found that putting my books, pens, planner, and snacks into my backpack before going to bed saves me a panicked 5 minutes every morning. Packing my bag at night gives me enough time to get ready AND eat breakfast before heading out for a day of classes. It is totally worth the effort before bedtime.

5. Keep your room neat and clean

Nothing is harder than trying to study in a room that is a chaotic mess. Start every morning by making your bed. A simple task, but it can boost your daily productivity drastically. The other thing you can do is keep a clear desk. I have always believed that a clear workspace equals a clear mind. You will find that it is SO much easier to write a paper without that bowl of ramen or pile of empty water bottles crowding your desk.

There are many other ways that you can stay organized in the crazy world of college. What are some of your tips for students?

1, 2, 3, 4

Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016