Meet HC Wyoming: Abbey Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Name: Abbey Williams

Major: Journalism with a minor in Honors and an emphasis in Marketing Communication

Class Standing: Senior

Role in HC: Campus Correspondent

Why did you join HC?

I joined HC to expand my portfolio and to have published pieces on other platforms. I ended up working my way up in the organization, where I am now the Campus Correspondent and a national Entertainment Blogger. It’s been a rewarding (almost) 4 years with HC, I love it.

What do you love about HC?

Going off the last question, there’s so much room for growth. I’m so thankful for the opportunities I’ve had through the organization and the love I’ve received throughout my time in Her Campus. I think this organization is a great place to find your voice and use it for good.

What’s the most valuable piece of advice you’ve received?

My grandfather gave my mom advice, but she passed it to me and it’s always been true. He always used to tell her “never go to bed mad.” I find that this is such a valuable piece of advice, because you never resolve issues by sitting on them. If you’re upset, tell the person you are upset with. It’s always important to be honest and forward with your feelings, otherwise, you just suffer and could make the situation worse for yourself and others involved.

What fictional place would you most love to visit?

I would love to visit the New Girl loft. It’s my favorite show and I’ve always wished I could be Jess Day for real, so if I could at least visit the loft, I feel like a part of my dream would be true.

If you could have any superpower what would it be?

I wish I could snap my fingers and have things done, whether it be a long drive, homework, chores, etc. I just want to be able to have more time for experiences and my relationships with people rather than having such a busy schedule of essays, laundry and dishes.

Are you usually early or late?

My dad always said, “if you’re 5 minutes early, you’re late,” so that’s how I live my life. Better to be 10 minutes early than one minute late, if you ask me.

Favorite college course so far?

My favorite has been Theory of Language & Society. It was a class that focused on how we speak in metaphors, whether we realize it or not, and what they mean. We got to analyze song lyrics all semester long and I’m obsessed with music, so it was almost like the class was made for me! It was awesome.

What’s your typical restaurant order?

It always changes, but I’m a sucker for a baller salad. I love salad, and if there’s a unique one with a variety of toppings and flavors, I’m in. It’s so satisfying and makes me feel like I’m eating healthy, so it’s a win-win.

What is your favorite show to binge watch?

This changes for me, too, but my go-to shows when I have no idea what to watch are New Girl and That 70s Show. I can watch them a million times over and they never get old. However, I recently binge-watched the entire first season of The Haunting of Hill House all in one day. It was soooo good, I recommend it.

What’s your favorite place?

My favorite place is a The 1975 show. They are my favorite band and their concerts are unbelievable. There are lights, music, performance and an experience that you cannot recreate. They create a concert that engages all your senses, to the point where you’re just too caught up in the moment to think about anything else. I love that about their shows, you can’t beat it.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Hopefully touring with a band as a manager, or running my own record label, or maybe writing for a music magazine. I thought I had it all planned out, but now, I just don’t know, but I’m excited for the adventure as long as it involves music in some way.

What is one item you cannot live without and why?

I cannot live without my car. I want to be able to go anywhere, whenever I want. Without my car, I feel restricted. Driving is not only a way to get out of the place you’re in, but it clears the head, is home to many deep conversations and a place for personal concerts. I love having a car, sometimes I forget how valuable of a possession it is.

Favorite food?

Ice cream and French fries. It’s a tie, so both. If they’re together, it’s even better.

What is the one thing about college that you wish you knew before you got here?

I wish I would have been more aware of how much I would change as an individual, so I could embrace it more. I feel like a part of me thought I would change but I didn’t realize how much. My mind has opened up so much, my world view has shifted, and I just feel so distant from freshman year me. It’s been a tough transition honestly because I didn’t know how to embrace these changes well, so I felt anxious about it, and still do sometimes. It’s weird to think you knew who you were when you got to college and look back like, “I knew nothing then, holy sh*t.” I don’t know, changing a lot is always strange and hard to manage. I wish I would’ve prepared myself for that a little more.  

Why should someone join HC?

There are endless opportunities, whether it’s for meeting new people, moving up in the organization or just learning more about yourself and gaining confidence to share your voice. I think anyone can benefit from these things, so joining HC is honestly a good choice for anyone, if you ask me. We all have strengths to bring to the table and I think HC lets you show them off. I love it so much, Her Campus is amazing.

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016