alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bars Are Not For Me– Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Have you ever been so uncomfortable that you literally start crying in public? Well, that was me Friday night at the bars. Something I don’t plan on doing again. A bunch of friends and I went out to celebrate a birthday and I was expecting to have a good time. Being the designated driver for the night, I was there for the fun, social aspect of everything. Little did I know I would end up wanting to scream every five seconds.

The first couple of bars were okay– my friends did their drinking and we hung out like usual. Then we hit a bar-club combo that almost sent me through the roof. Granted, this was my first night at the downtown bars, but I was not expecting to be blindsided like this. I am a very reserved person, so to walk upstairs and just see a free-for-all grindfest terrified me. I wanted to leave, but I didn’t want to ruin the night for my friends. I stood in the corner until one of them asked me to go dance with them. I spent one song on the dance floor, grabbed my boyfriend and practically ran from the scene. I was crying as I walked down the stairs to leave and couldn’t control the flow of emotions that were hitting me. 

I also saw how I would hate to be that intoxicated. Seeing people fall down stairs, screaming at their friends to “just throw up already”, and losing all sense of control is something that I have no desire to do. It is terrifying and unhealthy. Needless to say, I won’t be going to the bars again any time soon.

I also had a gnarly fever and head cold the following day, so I’m blaming the bars for that mess as well.

1

Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016