5 Things to Do in Middle-Of-Nowhere, Montana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

This Thanksgiving I was blessed to spend the holiday with my family and grandparents in Montana. I usually text my friends that it will take me awhile to see their messages since there isn’t service- that’s how much it is in the middle of nowhere. But, I have to admit that Montana is one of the most beautiful states. They have gorgeous mountains that surround you, lots of snow and plenty of open space to make great memories. Like many states out West, you have to find ways to entertain yourself, so here are 5 things to do in the middle-of-nowhere, Montana. 

1) Go Snowshoeing

Snowshoeing is way easy, easier than cross country skiing in my opinion. You can go anywhere you like and I’m sure there are plenty of places you can rent some for the weekend if you don’t own some. Going in the mountains and getting to experience the quietness is awesome, and even better when you’re with your family or dogs.

2) Take a Hike

Photo courtesy of author.

Gather up some warm clothes, and go hiking. There are some paths are aren’t covered in snow this year and some pretty places to go that aren’t hard to get to. Again, as this was a family vacation, I highly recommend taking your family, friends, and dog with you.

3) Fishing

Although it’s frickin’ cold out, I’m sure there are still fish to be caught this time of the year. I recommend fishing because it keeps you entertained and occasionally, this time of the year, the rivers haven’t frozen up yet. If they are frozen, I would also recommend ice fishing, which is also fun!

Photo courtesy of author.

4) Go Sledding

It seems like sledding is a no-brainer. It’s easy, just have to find a hill and something to slide down on. This is always fun and is a great way to spend the day, especially if you roast marshmallows or a hotdog afterward.

5) Cozy Up by the Fire

It is really beautiful in Montana but sometimes you just want to stay inside and warm up for a bit. A nice cup of hot chocolate is perfect for this, along with the football game or in my family, a show about nature. Here’s a doggo pic just for you guys. (Yes, he really crosses his legs like that)

Photo courtesy of author.

I am the current co-correspondent of the University of Wyoming! I spend my time reading lots of historical information, cooking, going out with my friends, and eating ice cream. I am a history major and my plans are to attend grad school to be a public librarian!
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.