This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Though some may disagree, I believe that straight after Halloween is too soon to get into the Christmas spirit.  In my opinion, the late fall/early winter period doesn’t only have to center around our holiday plans. 

So, in honor of this pre-holiday time, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite movies that are set in winter, to bring you into the cozy spirit before the festivities of December. Even if you’re an early celebrator, I’d encourage you to check out these great flicks before you start screening your fave holiday films.

Action/Adventure: Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005)

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is a 2005 film based on the iconic children’s book series written by C. S. Lewis. The movie is about four siblings and their adventure to a mythical world, called Narnia, that they find hidden at the back of an old wardrobe. With political tensions rising, Narnia is on the brink of war, and the children must fight to restore peace to the lands. 

I’d assume many have seen this movie during their childhood, but it’s a fantastic one to revisit this season, either on your own, with friends, or even to share with younger siblings. This movie has an enchanting charm that will make you wish for your own wardrobe full of fur coats, so you can play in the sparkling white Narnia snow.

Comedy: Dumb and Dumber (1994)

Dumb and Dumber is a 1994 comedy movie starring Jim Carrey and Harry Dunne as a hilarious idiot duo. The two go on an unnecessarily complicated and wacky journey to return a briefcase to a woman who left it at an airport. 

The duo’s campy adventure leads them to snowy Aspen, Colorado during peak ski season. Dumb and Dumber is the perfect misadventure to enjoy this cold season, as the pair embark on a journey filled with frigid fingers, and ridiculous unitards. This is a movie I love to watch with my friends that will genuinely make you laugh out loud.

Coming-of-Age: Little Women (2019)

Little Women (2019) is director Greta Gerwig’s remake of the 1994 movie under the same name; both of which are based on the classic book written by Louisa May Alcott. Each version of this film holds a special place in my heart and both are fantastic winter flicks. But the 2019 version makes the list due to it being available on Canadian Netflix. The movie follows the lives of the March sisters: Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy, as they grow from childhood to adulthood. 

Though the film takes place over many years, many of the catalysts happen over the snowy Winter months.  From ice skating on a frozen pond to the family enjoying a Christmas feast, this movie is guaranteed to leave you feeling bittersweet and maybe even shedding a few tears.

Drama: I, Tonya (2017)

I, Tonya is a 2017 drama film starring Margot Robbie as US figure skating champion Tonya Harding. The biographic movie follows Tonya’s life, her work as she heads towards her dream of skating at the Olympics, and the infamous conspiracy involving rival skater Nancy Kerrigan. 

Though this movie takes place over years of Tonya’s life, I still classify it as a Winter movie as it follows my favorite Winter Olympic sport: figure skating. With Tonya’s iconic homemade rabbit fur coat, it’s more than enough to get my winter classic vote.

Horror/Thriller: Misery (1990)

Misery is a 1990 horror/thriller film starring Kathy Bates and James Caan, based on the book by Stephen King. The movie follows author Paul Sheldon, who is severely injured after a car crash, and being nursed back to health by his slightly deranged number one fan, Annie Wilkes. The movie is a must-see, despite some frightening and hard-to-watch scenes. 

For thriller fans, this should be at the top of your list! The characters are dressed in turtlenecks and flannels, hidden from the stormy weather in a cold winter cabin. With its dark and dreary weather setting the scene, this disturbing film is perfect for hiding under the blankets during these colder months.

Jess Bayda

U Vic '26

Jess is currently a second-year pre-social work student at the University of Victoria. She has been with UVic's Her Campus chapter since 2023, and participates in both writing and editing. Jess is quite an active member as she loves procrastinating her university assignments by writing Her Campus articles. In her free time she also enjoys drawing, watching movies, and exploring downtown Victoria.