Why Even the Non Sorority Girl Should Rush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

I’m the first person to admit that I’m pretty basic. I wear leggings as formal wear, my favourite colour is pink, I love Barefoot Pink Moscato, and my favourite (non Disney) movies are Mean Girls, Clueless, and Legally Blonde. So it wasn’t surprising to any of my friends when I decided to join a sorority last semester. But even if you aren’t a typical “sorority girl,” joining a sorority can be an amazing way to enhance your university experience!

A lot of people probably don’t realize that UVic even has a sorority. I know I was surprised when I learned about Greek life at UVic, and I’ve lived in Victoria my whole life. But there are actually two sororities at the school, as well as a fraternity. I’m a member of Kappa Beta Gamma, an international sorority. The other group on campus is a local sorority, Alpha Chi Theta, and they have a lot of wonderful girls as well.

I’ve heard a lot of misconceptions about sororities, mostly stemming from bad portrayals in movies. I’ll admit, when I first heard that UVic had sororities, I was pretty skeptical. But being in a sorority is definitely not about getting drunk and hosting weird rituals! More importantly, sorority girls are not dumb or catty. So if you’re interested in joining a sorority, or even just learning more about it, don’t let those stereotypes stop you. Both the sororities on campus attract a variety of different girls, most of whom don’t fit the “sorority girl” stereotype.

When I asked other girls why they joined a sorority, the number one reason was the people. As cliché as it sounds, you really do gain 40 new friends when you join! I know a lot of girls who moved to Victoria in their first year and didn’t know anyone else, and have met so many new people by joining a sorority.

I’m from Victoria, so while I have a lot of other friends here, not many of them ended up going to UVic. I never lived on res, so I didn’t meet very many people in my first year, and all my classes were in lecture halls with 300 students. Not the best environment to get to know people in. Even when I became friends with people in my classes, I found that I lost touch with them when I didn’t see them the next semester. So I wanted a way to make more meaningful friendships with people at UVic.

When I went to the rush events last semester, I was introduced to so many amazing girls, all with different interests and ideas. Obviously, you won’t be best friends with every girl in the group, but you’ll probably be surprised by how many you really click with. I’ve shared so many memories with everyone that I know they’ll be a part of my life for years past graduation. It’s really a community of girls, and the sense of admiration and respect everyone has for one another is incredible to see. Everyone tries to make sure everyone feels welcome and no one is left out. I’m a pretty shy person, so joining the sorority was way out of my comfort zone, and I was pretty nervous. But everyone was so welcoming and easy to talk to, I felt like I could relax pretty quickly.

Another nice feature is that with that many girls, you always have someone there for you. If you post in the Facebook group, “Hey, is anyone down to get coffee/brunch/study/go to my sister’s wedding with me?”, chances are at least a couple girls are available!

Along with the friendships, you really gain a strong support system when you join a sorority. When I joined, I was worried about the time commitment on top of taking five classes and working. The best part is that everyone else is a student as well, so they all get it. All of the girls help each other succeed and manage their time. There are always people studying together on campus, and chances are in a group that size, with girls from every different program, someone has taken your classes before and is willing to send you notes and advice! There have also been times where I’ve been stressed or upset, either about school or my personal life. In those times, it feels really nice to have my sisters around me. They’re all great at giving advice and answering questions, no matter how embarrassing!

Aside from the friendships, being in a sorority offers a lot of opportunities I wouldn’t find otherwise. A big focus is on philanthropy, so along with having a set number of mandatory community service hours, we have dinners for The Mustard Seed and an event to raise funds for the Special Olympics. There are also various fundraisers and causes that we support throughout the year.

If you want to get even more out of your experience, you can hold a position within the sorority, such as president, treasurer, historian, or public relations chair. Girls learn a lot by holding positions, like organizing events, managing deadlines, and coordinating with different venues and groups in a professional manner. Not only does being a part of the sorority look good on a resume, but it also provides great networking opportunities with other charitable organizations in the community.

Somewhat more unexpectedly, there are travel opportunities associated with the sorority. Kappa Beta Gamma is an international sorority, meaning we are one of a number of chapters around the world, mainly based in the United States. This extends our community to girls all over, who regularly offer opportunities to us. A group of girls travelled to Disneyland last year to celebrate our 100th anniversary, and there’s an opportunity to travel to Iceland this summer with a group of girls from other chapters.

Although being in a sorority is more than just parties and social events, those are definitely fun as well. Every semester we have a formal dinner event, and it’s so much fun to see everyone dressed up and celebrating! There are lots of other events throughout the semester as well, from hikes up Mount Doug to brunches, sports games, and sisterhood retreats. University is obviously a super busy time for everyone, and it’s nice to be able to spend some time having fun with your sisters, away from campus.

More than anything, being in a sorority has given me a sense of community and belonging. In my first two years at university, I found that I was too busy with schoolwork and work to really get involved in any groups or clubs, and I didn’t really feel like I necessarily belonged to UVic. I never had any problems fitting in, but it just felt like a place to go to school to me. Now, whenever I’m on campus, I run into girls I know, and I feel like UVic means a lot more to me, and that I’m part of something bigger than myself. I have met girls that I know will be lifelong friends and influences, and they’ve helped me grow as a person. Stepping outside of my comfort zone and going to rush last semester was one of the best things I’ve done in my university career.

So, if you’re curious about joining a sorority, but are worried about fitting in because you don’t feel like a “sorority girl,” or even if you’ve never thought about sororities but you’d like to be more involved on campus, I highly recommend trying it out and coming to recruitment! If you have any questions, myself and any of the other girls are always happy to tell people more about it.

Being in a sorority definitely isn’t for everyone, and that’s okay. But don’t let the stereotypes stop you, because they just aren’t true. Both the sororities attract girls with different majors and personalities, and one of the best parts is getting to know people whom you might not have ever met otherwise. I believe that sororities have something for everyone, and that’s why I’m proud to wear my letters.

Chantelle is a third year History major at the University of Victoria. She loves bad puns, good books, and the colour pink. In her spare time you can find her binge watching Grey's Anatomy, singing and dancing to Disney songs, spending too much money at Sephora, and baking (and eating) dessert. Her favourite book is Stephanie Perkins' 'Anna and the French Kiss', and her body is 50-75% chai tea latte.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison